Multi-dimensional Rational Bubbles and fat tails: application of stochastic regression equations to financial speculation
We extend the model of rational bubbles of Blanchard and of Blanchard and Watson to arbitrary dimensions d: a number d of market time series are made linearly interdependent via d times d stochastic coupling coefficients. We first show that the no-arbitrage condition imposes that the non-diagonal impacts of any asset i on any other asset j different from i has to vanish on average, i.e., must exhibit random alternative regimes of reinforcement and contrarian feedbacks. In contrast, the diagonal terms must be positive and equal on average to the inverse of the discount factor. Applying the results of renewal theory for products of random matrices to stochastic recurrence equations (SRE), we extend the theorem of Lux and Sornette (cond-mat/9910141) and demonstrate that the tails of the unconditional distributions associated with such d-dimensional bubble processes follow power laws (i.e., exhibit hyperbolic decline), with the same asymptotic tail exponent mu
|Date of creation:||Jan 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Quantitative Finance 1, 533541 (2001)|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://arxiv.org/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Adam, M C & Szafarz, A, 1992.
"Speculative Bubbles and Financial Markets,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 44(4), pages 626-40, October.
- Marie Christine Adam & Ariane Szafarz, 1992. "Speculative Bubbles and Financial Markets," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/689, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Marie Christine Adam & Ariane Szafarz, 1993. "Speculative Bubbles and Financial Markets," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/665, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- R. Mantegna, 1999.
"Hierarchical structure in financial markets,"
The European Physical Journal B - Condensed Matter and Complex Systems,
Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 193-197, September.
- R. Mantegna, 1999. "Hierarchical structure in financial markets," The European Physical Journal B - Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 193-197, September.
- De Vries, C.G. & Leuven, K.U., 1994. "Stylized Facts of Nominal Exchange Rate Returns," Papers 94-002, Purdue University, Krannert School of Management - Center for International Business Education and Research (CIBER).
- P. Gopikrishnan & M. Meyer & L.A.N. Amaral & H.E. Stanley, 1998. "Inverse cubic law for the distribution of stock price variations," The European Physical Journal B - Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer, vol. 3(2), pages 139-140, July.
- Richard B. Olsen & Ulrich A. Müller & Michel M. Dacorogna & Olivier V. Pictet & Rakhal R. Davé & Dominique M. Guillaume, 1997. "From the bird's eye to the microscope: A survey of new stylized facts of the intra-daily foreign exchange markets (*)," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 95-129.
- Shleifer, Andrei, 2000. "Inefficient Markets: An Introduction to Behavioral Finance," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198292272, March.
- Blanchard, Olivier Jean, 1979. "Speculative bubbles, crashes and rational expectations," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 387-389.
- D. Sornette, 2000. ""Slimming" of power law tails by increasing market returns," Papers cond-mat/0010112, arXiv.org, revised Sep 2001.
- Flood, Robert P. & Garber, Peter M. & Scott, Louis O., 1984. "Multi-country tests for price level bubbles," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 329-340, December.
- Pagan, Adrian, 1996. "The econometrics of financial markets," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 15-102, May.
- Camerer, Colin, 1989. " Bubbles and Fads in Asset Prices," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(1), pages 3-41.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:cond-mat/0101371. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.