Explicit investment rules with time-to-build and uncertainty
We establish explicit socially optimal rules for an irreversible investment deci- sion with time-to-build and uncertainty. Assuming a price sensitive demand function with a random intercept, we provide comparative statics and economic interpreta- tions for three models of demand (arithmetic Brownian, geometric Brownian, and the Cox-Ingersoll-Ross). Committed capacity, that is, the installed capacity plus the in- vestment in the pipeline, must never drop below the best predictor of future demand, minus two biases. The discounting bias takes into account the fact that investment is paid upfront for future use; the precautionary bias multiplies a type of risk aversion index by the local volatility. Relying on the analytical forms, we discuss in detail the economic effects.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Felipe L. Aguerrevere, 2003. "Equilibrium Investment Strategies and Output Price Behavior: A Real-Options Approach," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 16(4), pages 1239-1272.
- McDonald, Robert & Siegel, Daniel, 1986. "The Value of Waiting to Invest," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 101(4), pages 707-27, November.
- Bar-Ilan, Avner & Strange, William C, 1996. "Investment Lags," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(3), pages 610-22, June.
- Giorgio Ferrari, 2012.
"On an integral equation for the free-boundary of stochastic, irreversible investment problems,"
1211.0412, arXiv.org, revised Jan 2015.
- Giorgio Ferrari, 2012. "On an Integral Equation for the Free Boundary of Stochastic, Irreversible Investment Problems," Center for Mathematical Economics Working Papers 471, Center for Mathematical Economics, Bielefeld University.
- Steven R. Grenadier, 2002. "Option Exercise Games: An Application to the Equilibrium Investment Strategies of Firms," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 15(3), pages 691-721.
- Milne, Alistair & Whalley, A Elizabeth, 2000. "'Time to build, option value and investment decisions': a comment," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 325-332, May.
- Bar-Ilan, Avner & Sulem, Agnes & Zanello, Alessandro, 2002. "Time-to-build and capacity choice," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 69-98, January.
- Pacheco-de-Almeida, Goncalo & Zemsky, Peter, 2003. " The Effect of Time-to-Build on Strategic Investment under Uncertainty," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 34(1), pages 166-82, Spring.
- Bruder, Benjamin & Pham, Huyên, 2009. "Impulse control problem on finite horizon with execution delay," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 119(5), pages 1436-1469, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:1406.0055. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.