Representation Theory for Risk On Markowitz-Tversky-Kahneman Topology
We introduce a representation theory for risk operations on locally compact groups in a partition of unity on a topological manifold for Markowitz-Tversky-Kahneman (MTK) reference points. We identify (1) risk torsion induced by the flip rate for risk averse and risk seeking behaviour, and (2) a structure constant or coupling of that torsion in the paracompact manifold. The risk torsion operator extends by continuity to prudence and maxmin expected utility (MEU) operators, as well as other behavioural operators introduced by the Italian school. In our erstwhile chaotic dynamical system, induced by behavioural rotations of probability domains, the loss aversion index is an unobserved gauge transformation; and reference points are hyperbolic on the utility hypersurface characterized by the special unitary group SU(n). We identify conditions for existence of harmonic utility functions on paracompact MTK manifolds induced by transformation groups. And we use those mathematical objects to estimate: (1) loss aversion index from infinitesimal tangent vectors; and (2) value function from a classic Dirichlet problem for first exit time of Brownian motion from regular points on the boundary of MTK base topology.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bernard, Carole & Ghossoub, Mario, 2009. "Static Portfolio Choice under Cumulative Prospect Theory," MPRA Paper 15446, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sujoy Mukerji & Peter Klibanoff, 2002.
"A Smooth Model of Decision,Making Under Ambiguity,"
Economics Series Working Papers
113, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Milton Friedman & L. J. Savage, 1948. "The Utility Analysis of Choices Involving Risk," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 56, pages 279-279.
- Alain Chateauneuf & José Heleno Faro, 2009.
"Ambiguity through confidence functions,"
Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Gilboa, Itzhak & Schmeidler, David, 1989.
"Maxmin expected utility with non-unique prior,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 141-153, April.
- Fabio Maccheroni & Massimo Marinacci & Aldo Rustichini, 2006.
"Ambiguity Aversion, Robustness, and the Variational Representation of Preferences,"
Econometric Society, vol. 74(6), pages 1447-1498, November.
- Fabio Maccheroni & Massimo Marinacci & Aldo Rustichini, 2004. "Ambiguity Aversion, Robustness, and the Variational Representation of Preferences," Carlo Alberto Notebooks 12, Collegio Carlo Alberto, revised 2006.
- Drazen Prelec, 1998. "The Probability Weighting Function," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(3), pages 497-528, May.
- H. Bleichrodt & C. Paraschiv & Mohammed Abdellaoui, 2007.
"Loss Aversion Under Prospect Theory: A Parameter-Free Measurement,"
- Mohammed Abdellaoui & Han Bleichrodt & Corina Paraschiv, 2007. "Loss Aversion Under Prospect Theory: A Parameter-Free Measurement," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 53(10), pages 1659-1674, October.
- Tversky, Amos & Kahneman, Daniel, 1992. "Advances in Prospect Theory: Cumulative Representation of Uncertainty," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 297-323, October.
- Kobberling, Veronika & Wakker, Peter P., 2005. "An index of loss aversion," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 122(1), pages 119-131, May.
- Ariane Lambert Mogiliansky & Shmuel Zamir & Herve Zwirn, 2003. "Type Indeterminacy: A Model of the KT(Kahneman-Tversky)-man," Discussion Paper Series dp343, The Federmann Center for the Study of Rationality, the Hebrew University, Jerusalem.
- Busemeyer, Jerome R. & Diederich, Adele, 2002. "Survey of decision field theory," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 345-370, July.
- V. Yukalov & D. Sornette, 2011. "Decision theory with prospect interference and entanglement," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 70(3), pages 283-328, March.
- Harry Markowitz, 1952. "The Utility of Wealth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 60, pages 151-151.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:1206.2665. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.