Stochastic Dominance, Entropy and Biodiversity Management
In this paper we develop a model of population dynamics using the Shannon entropy index, a measure of diversity that allows for global and specific population shocks. We model the effects of increasing the number of parcels on biodiversity, varying the number of spatially diverse parcels to capture risk diversification. We discuss the concepts of stochastic dominance as a means of project selection, in order to model biodiversity returns and risks. Using a Monte Carlo simulation we find that stochastic dominance may be a useful theoretical construct for project selections but it is unable to rank every case. Key Words: Stochastic Dominance, Entropy, Biodiversity Management
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Thelma C. Raley Hall, Boone, North Carolina 28608|
Web page: http://www.business.appstate.edu/departments/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Simpson, R. David, 2002. "Definitions of Biodiversity and Measures of Its Value," Discussion Papers dp-02-62, Resources For the Future.
- Lueck, Dean & Michael, Jeffrey A, 2003. "Preemptive Habitat Destruction under the Endangered Species Act," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 46(1), pages 27-60, April.
- Martin L. Weitzman, 1992. "On Diversity," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 107(2), pages 363-405.
- Hans-Peter Weikard, 2002. "Diversity Functions and the Value of Biodiversity," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 78(1), pages 20-27.
- Martin L. Weitzman, 1998. "The Noah's Ark Problem," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(6), pages 1279-1298, November.
- Robert Innes & Stephen Polasky & John Tschirhart, 1998. "Takings, Compensation and Endangered Species Protection on Private Lands," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(3), pages 35-52, Summer.
- Pablo Benítez & Timo Kuosmanen & Roland Olschewski & G. Cornelis van Kooten, 2005.
"Conservation Payments under Risk: A Stochastic Dominance Approach,"
2005-14, University of Victoria, Department of Economics, Resource Economics and Policy Analysis Research Group.
- Pablo C. Ben�tez & Timo Kuosmanen & Roland Olschewski & G. Cornelis van Kooten, 2006. "Conservation Payments under Risk: A Stochastic Dominance Approach," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 88(1), pages 1-15.
- Pablo Benítez & Timo Kuosmanen & Roland Olschewski & G. Cornelis van Kooten, 2004. "Conservation Payments under Risk: A Stochastic Dominance Approach," Working Papers 2004-05, University of Victoria, Department of Economics, Resource Economics and Policy Analysis Research Group.
- Solow Andrew & Polasky Stephen & Broadus James, 1993. "On the Measurement of Biological Diversity," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 60-68, January.
- Harry Markowitz, 1952. "Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 7(1), pages 77-91, 03.
- Wagayehu Bekele, 2005. "Stochastic Dominance Analysis of Soil and Water Conservation in Subsistence Crop Production in the Eastern Ethiopian Highlands: The Case of the Hunde-Lafto Area," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 32(4), pages 533-550, December.
- Golan, Amos & Judge, George G. & Miller, Douglas, 1996. "Maximum Entropy Econometrics," Staff General Research Papers 1488, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Haim Levy, 1992. "Stochastic Dominance and Expected Utility: Survey and Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 38(4), pages 555-593, April.
- Alavalapati, Janaki R. R. & Stainback, George A. & Carter, Douglas R., 2002. "Restoration of the longleaf pine ecosystem on private lands in the US South: an ecological economic analysis," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 411-419, March.
- Gardner M. Brown & Jason F. Shogren, 1998. "Economics of the Endangered Species Act," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(3), pages 3-20, Summer.
- Loomis, John B. & White, Douglas S., 1996. "Economic benefits of rare and endangered species: summary and meta-analysis," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 197-206, September.
- Montgomery Claire A. & Brown Jr. , Gardner M. & Adams Darius M., 1994. "The Marginal Cost of Species Preservation: The Northern Spotted Owl," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 111-128, March.
- Martin L. Weitzman, 1993. "What to Preserve? An Application of Diversity Theory to Crane Conservation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 108(1), pages 157-183.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:apl:wpaper:08-08. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (O. Ashton Morgan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.