How Might Adam Smith Pay Professors Today?
Adam Smith’s proposal for paying professors was intended to induce increased faculty knowledge. If students have imperfect information about what they learn, and universities can only imperfectly measure the input of faculty time in student learning, publicati:
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Thelma C. Raley Hall, Boone, North Carolina 28608|
Web page: http://economics.appstate.edu/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- McDowell, John M, 1982. "Obsolescence of Knowledge and Career Publication Profiles: Some Evidence of Differences among Fields in Costs of Interrupted Careers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(4), pages 752-768, September.
- William E. Becker & William Bosshardt & Michael Watts, 2012.
"How Departments of Economics Evaluate Teaching,"
The Journal of Economic Education,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(3), pages 325-333, July.
- Zhiqi Chen & J. Stephen Ferris, 1995.
"A Theory of Tenure for the Teaching University,"
Carleton Economic Papers
95-12, Carleton University, Department of Economics, revised Jan 1999.
- Elizabeth Becker & Cotton M. Lindsay & Gary Grizzle, 2003. "The derived demand for faculty research," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(8), pages 549-567.
- repec:eme:jespps:v:20:y:1993:i:4/5:p:107-133 is not listed on IDEAS
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1987. "Some Economics of Teaching," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 5(4), pages 561-575, October.
- Siow, Aloysius, 1997. "Some evidence on the signalling role of research in academia," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 54(3), pages 271-276, July.
- McCormick, Robert E & Meiners, Roger E, 1988. "University Governance: A Property Rights Perspective," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 31(2), pages 423-442, October.
- George J. Stigler, 1989. "The Future of Higher Education: An EconomicPerspective," University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State 56, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:apl:wpaper:04-08. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (O. Ashton Morgan)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.