Combination of "Combinations of P-values
We investigate the impact of an uncertain number of false individual null hypotheses on commonly used p-value combination methods and ﬁnd that the performance of these methods varies substantially under such uncertainty. These variations yield conﬂicting results in meta-analysis, motivating the development of a new, reconciling test. We consequently develop a combination of "combinations of p-values" (CCP) test that maintains good power properties across such uncertainty. We base the CCP test on a simple union of rejections decision rule that exploits the similarity between any two p-value combination methods. Monte Carlo simulations show that our test controls size and closely tracks the power of the best individual methods.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pesaran, M.H., 2003.
"A Simple Panel Unit Root Test in the Presence of Cross Section Dependence,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
0346, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- M. Hashem Pesaran, 2007. "A simple panel unit root test in the presence of cross-section dependence," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(2), pages 265-312.
- Wu, Jyh-Lin & Wu, Shaowen, 2001. "Is Purchasing Power Parity Overvalued?," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 33(3), pages 804-812, August.
- Choi, In, 2001. "Unit root tests for panel data," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 249-272, April.
- repec:taf:jnlbes:v:30:y:2012:i:2:p:242-255 is not listed on IDEAS
- Xuguang Sheng & Jingyun Yang, 2013.
"Truncated Product Methods for Panel Unit Root Tests,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 75(4), pages 624-636, 08.
- Xuguang Sheng & Jingyun Yang, 2013. "Truncated Product Methods for Panel Unit Root Tests," Working Papers 2013-004, The George Washington University, Department of Economics, Research Program on Forecasting.
- Lopez, Claude, 2008.
"Evidence of purchasing power parity for the floating regime period,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 156-164, February.
- Claude Lopez, 2004. "Evidence of Purchasing Power Parity for the Floating Regime Period," University of Cincinnati, Economics Working Papers Series 2004-01, University of Cincinnati, Department of Economics, revised Mar 2006.
- David I. Harvey & Stephen J. Leybourne & A. M. Robert Taylor, 2011.
"Testing for Unit Roots and the Impact of Quadratic Trends, with an Application to Relative Primary Commodity Prices,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(5), pages 514-547, October.
- David I. Harvey & Stephen J. Leybourne & A. M. Robert Taylor, 2008. "Testing for unit roots and the impact of quadratic trends, with an application to relative primary commodity prices," Discussion Papers 08/04, University of Nottingham, Granger Centre for Time Series Econometrics.
- Ana-Maria Dumitru & Giovanni Urga, 2011. "Identifying Jumps in Financial Assets: A Comparison Between Nonparametric Jump Tests," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(2), pages 242-255, October.
- Loughin, Thomas M., 2004. "A systematic comparison of methods for combining p-values from independent tests," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 467-485, October.
- David I. Harvey & Stephen J. Leybourne & A. M. Robert Taylor, 2007.
"Unit root testing in practice: dealing with uncertainty over the trend and initial condition,"
07/03, University of Nottingham, Granger Centre for Time Series Econometrics.
- Harvey, David I. & Leybourne, Stephen J. & Taylor, A.M. Robert, 2009. "Unit Root Testing In Practice: Dealing With Uncertainty Over The Trend And Initial Condition," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 25(03), pages 587-636, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:amu:wpaper:2012-11. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Meal)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.