Land Tenancy In Asia, Africa, And Latin America: A Look At The Past And A View To The Future
This literature review focuses on recent and contemporary tenancy structures in Asia, Africa, and Latin America. Tenancy for purposes of this review is broadly defined to include different leasing arrangements such sharecropping, labor tenancy, fixed cash rentals, and reverse leasing. We have limited our discussion to private leasing of agricultural land, thereby ignoring issues pertaining to leasing of public, forest, and other noncrop lands. The purpose of this literature review is to provide a basis for evaluation of the desirability, feasibility, and potential content of regulatory guidelines for lease agreements that might permit the land-lease market to operate effectively. The works discussed herein are both theoretical and empirical. We have attempted to locate the most recent literature on tenancy for Asia, Africa, and Latin America. If contemporary literature is scarce or if historical developments are useful to understanding current tenancy trends, references and inclusion of recent past experiences and dynamics are included. As can be expected, the availability of studies on tenancy in the three regions is quite different.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Parikshit Ghosh, 1995. "On The Coexistence of Share, Rent and Wage Contracts in a Rural Economy," Boston University - Institute for Economic Development 58, Boston University, Institute for Economic Development.
- Lehmann, David, 1986. "Sharecropping and the capitalist transition in agriculture : Some evidence from the highlands of Ecuador," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 333-354, October.
- Seiichi Fukui, 1997. "The Meaning of Kinship in Sharecropping Contracts," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(2), pages 394-406.
- Otsuka, Keijiro & Chuma, Hiroyuki & Hayami, Yujiro, 1992. "Land and Labor Contracts in Agrarian Economies: Theories and Facts," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 30(4), pages 1965-2018, December.
- Ellis, Gene, 1980. "Land Tenancy Reform in Ethiopia: A Retrospective Analysis," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 28(3), pages 523-45, April.
- Huang, Chung-Huang, 1991. "Inefficiency due to tenancy protection: a new tenure problem in Taiwan," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 5(2), pages 121-133, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:uwltwp:12783. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.