Changing Participation in Food Assistance Programs Among Low-Income Children After Welfare Reform
In 1996, the safety net for poor households with children fundamentally changed when Federal legislation replaced Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC) with Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF). This study investigates participation in, and benefits received from, AFDC/TANF and food assistance programs, before and after the legislation, for children in low-income households (income below 300 percent of the Federal poverty line). The results show that, between 1990 and 2004, the share of children receiving food stamp benefits declined, most notably among children in the poorest households (income below 50 percent of the Federal poverty line). The share of children receiving benefits from the school meals programs and the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) rose, mainly among children in low-income households with income above the Federal poverty line. Overall, the share of children in households that received benefits from AFDC/TANF or food assistance programs grew from 35 percent to 52 percent. However, the net result of these changes is that average total inflation-adjusted household benefits from all programs examined declined. The decline was largest among children in the poorest households.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1400 Independence Ave.,SW, Mail Stop 1800, Washington, DC 20250-1800|
Web page: http://www.ers.usda.gov/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Quinn Moore & Lara Hulsey & Michael Ponza, 2009. "Factors Associated with School Meal Participation and the Relationship Between Different Participation Measures," Mathematica Policy Research Reports bba9e02848c042cbbbfe8e220, Mathematica Policy Research.
- Jeff Grogger & Charles Michalopoulos, 2000.
"Welfare Dynamics under Time Limits,"
JCPR Working Papers
125, Northwestern University/University of Chicago Joint Center for Poverty Research.
- Jeffrey Grogger & Steven J. Haider & Jacob Alex Klerman, 2003.
"Why Did the Welfare Rolls Fall During the 1990s? The Importance of Entry,"
03-07, RAND Corporation.
- Jeffrey Grogger & Steven J. Haider & Jacob Klerman, 2003. "Why Did the Welfare Rolls Fall During the 1990's? The Importance of Entry," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(2), pages 288-292, May.
- Winicki, Joshua, 2001. "Low-Income Families Participating in Fewer Assistance Programs," Food Review: The Magazine of Food Economics, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, vol. 24(2).
- Bollinger, Christopher R & David, Martin H, 2001.
"Estimation with Response Error and Nonresponse: Food-Stamp Participation in the SIPP,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 19(2), pages 129-141, April.
- Christopher Bollinger & Martin H. David, 2000. "Estimation with Response Error and Non-Response: Food Stamp Participation in the SIPP," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0198, Econometric Society.
- Oliveira, Victor & Frazao, Elizabeth, 2009. "The WIC Program: Background, Trends, and Economic Issues, 2009 Edition," Economic Research Report 55839, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Bruce D. Meyer & Wallace K. C. Mok & James X. Sullivan, 2009.
"The Under-Reporting of Transfers in Household Surveys: Its Nature and Consequences,"
0903, Harris School of Public Policy Studies, University of Chicago.
- Bruce D. Meyer & Wallace K. C. Mok & James X. Sullivan, 2009. "The Under-Reporting of Transfers in Household Surveys: Its Nature and Consequences," NBER Working Papers 15181, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David C. Ribar & Marilyn Edelhoch & Qiduan Liu, 2008. "Watching the Clocks: The Role of Food Stamp Recertification and TANF Time Limits in Caseload Dynamics," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 43(1).
- Newman, Constance, 2006. "The Income Volatility See-Saw: Implications for School Lunch," Economic Research Report 7237, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- repec:mpr:mprres:6295 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:mpr:mprres:3699 is not listed on IDEAS
- Moffitt, Robert, 2008. "Welfare reform: the US experience," Working Paper Series 2008:13, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:uersrr:58613. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.