Social And Scale Efficiency Gains Due To Vertical Integration In The U.S. Hog Sector
Using a non-parametric linear programming approach, our contribution is (1) to examine if efficiency gains in hog production are realized due to vertical integration and (2) to demonstrate the efficiency gains that are realized are a product of economies of scope and scale. The model uses U.S. hog sector data for the period, 1982-1997. Results indicate efficiency gains are realized due to vertical integration and can be explained by scope and scale efficiency gains. The t-test at the 5% level of significance indicates the mean overall efficiency gains; scope efficiency gains and scale efficiency gains are significantly different from one.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.saea.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- B. Delworth Gardner & Rulon D. Pope, 1978. "How is Scale and Structure Determined in Agriculture?," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 60(2), pages 295-302.
- John C. Panzar & Robert D. Willig, 1977. "Economies of Scale in Multi-Output Production," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 91(3), pages 481-493.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Kislev, Yoav & Peterson, Willis, 1982. "Prices, Technology, and Farm Size," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(3), pages 578-595, June.
- Lawrence, Colin, 1989. "Banking Costs, Generalized Functional Forms, and Estimation of Economies of Scale and Scope," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 21(3), pages 368-79, August.
- Eaton, B Curtis & Lemche, S Q, 1991. "The Geometry of Supply, Demand, and Competitive Market Structure with Economies of Scope," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(4), pages 901-911, September.
- Rolf Färe, 1986. "Addition and Efficiency," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 101(4), pages 861-865.
- Christensen, Laurits R & Greene, William H, 1976. "Economies of Scale in U.S. Electric Power Generation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(4), pages 655-676, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:saeatm:35143. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.