Measuring Scope And Scale Efficiency Gains Due To Specialization
Using the non-parametric linear programming approach, this study examines overall efficiency gains due to diversification between crop and livestock enterprises for a sample of Kansas farms. Overall efficiency gains were decomposed into scope efficiency gains and scale efficiency gains. Farms with both crops and livestock were found to be less efficient than farms with just crops or just livestock. Operator age, profit margin, and farm size were significantly related to overall efficiency.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Featherstone, Allen M. & Langemeier, Michael R. & Ismet, Mohammad, 1997.
"A Nonparametric Analysis Of Efficiency For A Sample Of Kansas Beef Cow Farms,"
Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics,
Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 29(01), July.
- Featherstone, Allen M. & Langemeier, Michael R. & Ismet, Mohammad, 1997. "A Nonparametric Analysis of Efficiency for a Sample of Kansas Beef Cow Farms," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 29(01), pages 175-184, July.
- repec:ags:joaaec:v:29:y:1997:i:1:p:175-84 is not listed on IDEAS
- Chavas, Jean-Paul & Aliber, Michael, 1993. "An Analysis Of Economic Efficiency In Agriculture: A Nonparametric Approach," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 18(01), July.
- Eaton, B Curtis & Lemche, S Q, 1991. "The Geometry of Supply, Demand, and Competitive Market Structure with Economies of Scope," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(4), pages 901-11, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea05:19388. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.