Water Rights Arrangements in Australia and Overseas
The commission research paper, Water Rights Arrangements in Australia and Overseas, was released on 3 October 2003. The paper compares the legal, organisational and regulatory arrangements for managing water rights, against accepted best practice principles. It reveals significant differences among the benchmarked jurisdictions in the way that water rights are defined, allocated, regulated and administered. In some jurisdictions, water rights are the personal property of water users; in others, they are vested in the State. Such differences have implications for both the management of water rights and the efficiency of resource allocation. Twelve case studies were prepared to assist the understanding of the complex legal, organisational and management arrangements of the jurisdictions studied. Case studies were prepared for the Murray-Darling Basin, New South Wales, Victoria, Queensland, South Australia, Australian Capital Territory, Colorado River Basin, California, Colorado, Chile, Mexico and South Africa. These case studies should be read in conjunction with the main report. The case studies are available from the Productivity Commission's website at http://www.pc.gov.au/research/crp/waterrights/index.html
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Level 28, 35 Collins St, Melbourne Victoria 3000|
Phone: 61 3 9653 2100
Fax: 61 3 9653 2199
Web page: http://www.pc.gov.au/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Easter, K William & Rosegrant, Mark W & Dinar, Ariel, 1999. "Formal and Informal Markets for Water: Institutions, Performance, and Constraints," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 14(1), pages 99-116, February.
- Mike Young, 2000. "Market-based Opportunities to Improve Environmental Flows: A scoping paper," Natural Resource Management Economics 00_004, Policy and Economic Research Unit, CSIRO Land and Water, Adelaide, Australia.
- Mike Young & Jim McColl, 2002. "Robust Separation:A search for a generic framework to simplify registration and trading of interests in natural resources," Natural Resource Management Economics 02_004, Policy and Economic Research Unit, CSIRO Land and Water, Adelaide, Australia.
- Mike Young & Darla Hatton MacDonald, 2000. "Interstate Water Trading: a 2-year Review," Natural Resource Management Economics 00_001, Policy and Economic Research Unit, CSIRO Land and Water, Adelaide, Australia.
- Tsur, Yacov & Dinar, Ariel, 1995. "Efficiency and equity considerations in pricing and allocating irrigation water," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1460, The World Bank.
- Dinar, A. & Subramanian, A., 1997. "Water Pricing Experiences," Papers 386, World Bank - Technical Papers.
- Lee, Terence R. & Jouravlev, Andrei, 1998. "Prices, property and markets in water allocation," Medio Ambiente y Desarrollo 6, Naciones Unidas Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe (CEPAL).