Formal and Informal Markets for Water: Institutions, Performance, and Constraints
Water markets -- either formal or informal -- can be an efficient method for reallocating scarce water supplies. At the same time certain constraints can raise the transaction costs of trading water. This paper reviews the conditions necessary to establish successful water markets, identifies potential problems, and offers mitigating strategies. It also uses examples of several informal and formal water markets already in operation to illustrate these problems and the solutions to them. Copyright 1999 by Oxford University Press.
Volume (Year): 14 (1999)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK|
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://wbro.oxfordjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.oup.co.uk/journals|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Smith, Vernon L, 1985. "Experimental Economics: Reply," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(1), pages 264-72, March.
- Kling, Catherine L. & Weinberg, Marca & Wilen, James, 1993.
"Water Markets and Water Quality,"
Staff General Research Papers Archive
1572, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Meinzen-Dick, Ruth Suseela, 1996. "Groundwater markets in Pakistan: participation and productivity," Research reports 105, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Thobani, Mateen, 1997. "Formal Water Markets: Why, When, and How to Introduce Tradable Water Rights," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 12(2), pages 161-79, August.
- Hearne, Robert R. & Easter, K. William, 1997.
"The economic and financial gains from water markets in Chile,"
Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists,
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 15(3), January.
- Hearne, Robert R. & William Easter, K., 1997. "The economic and financial gains from water markets in Chile," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 15(3), pages 187-199, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oup:wbrobs:v:14:y:1999:i:1:p:99-116. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.