Systemic Risk In U.S. Crop And Revenue Insurance Programs
This study estimates the probability density function of the Federal Risk Management Agency's (RMA) net income from reinsuring crop insurance for corn, wheat, and soybeans. Based on 1997 data, the authors estimate that there is a 5 percent probability that RMA will need to reimburse at least $1 billion to insurance companies, and that the fair value of RMA's reinsurance services to insurance firms equals $78.7 million. In addition, various hedging strategies are examined for their potential to reduce RMA's reinsurance risk. The risk reduction achievable by hedging is appreciable, but use of derivative contracts alone is clearly no panacea.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||Oct 2001|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.agfin.ifas.ufl.edu/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mario J. Miranda & Joseph W. Glauber, 1997. "Systemic Risk, Reinsurance, and the Failure of Crop Insurance Markets," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(1), pages 206-215.
- Bruce A. Babcock & David A. Hennessy, 1996.
"Input Demand under Yield and Revenue Insurance,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(2), pages 416-427.
- Bruce A. Babcock & Joseph A. Herriges, 1994. "Input Demand Under Yield and Revenue Insurance," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 94-wp127, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Babcock, Bruce A. & Hennessy, David A., 1996. "Input Demand Under Yield and Revenue Insurance," Staff General Research Papers Archive 794, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Octavio A. Ramírez, 1997. "Estimation and Use of a Multivariate Parametric Model for Simulating Heteroskedastic, Correlated, Nonnormal Random Variables: The Case of Corn Belt Corn, Soybean, and Wheat Yields," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(1), pages 191-205.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:nc2001:132389. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.