The Main Determinants of Insurance Purchase: An Empirical Study on Crop Insurance Policies in France
Using data for 2002-2005 on a representative survey of French farms (FADN-RICA), we investigate the different factors that lead farmers to insure against crop risk. Our analysis takes into account a mix of both standard individual, financial and agricultural criteria. Cross-sectional and longitudinal analyses as well as logistic regressions underline the main differences between insured and non-insured farms. Compared to non-insured farms, we find that insured farms present greater financial and agricultural sizes, a more diversified production and have been motivated by the occurrence of recent catastrophic climatic events. Although essential in the cross-sectional analysis, the influence of financial parameters in the decision to insure is mitigated. On the other hand, the agricultural characteristics of the farms confirm their leading influence for the subscription of crop insurance policies.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.eaae.org|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martin F. Grace & Robert W. Klein & Paul R. Kleindorfer, 2004. "Homeowners Insurance With Bundled Catastrophe Coverage," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 71(3), pages 351-379.
- Hanno Lustig & Stijn Van Nieuwerburgh, 2003.
"Housing Collateral, Consumption Insurance and Risk Premia: An Empirical Perpective,"
NBER Working Papers
9959, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hanno N. Lustig & Stijn G. Van Nieuwerburgh, 2005. "Housing Collateral, Consumption Insurance, and Risk Premia: An Empirical Perspective," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(3), pages 1167-1219, 06.
- Marcel A.P.M. van Asseldonk & Miranda P.M. Meuwissen & Ruud B.M. Huirne, 2002. "Belief in Disaster Relief and the Demand for a Public-Private Insurance Program," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 24(1), pages 196-207.
- Mary Kelly & Anne E. Kleffner, 2003. "Optimal Loss Mitigation and Contract Design," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 70(1), pages 53-72.
- Isengildina, Olga & Hudson, Darren, 2001. "Factors Affecting Hedging Decisions Using Evidence from the Cotton Industry," 2001 Conference, April 23-24, 2001, St. Louis, Missouri 18970, NCR-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Keith H. Coble & Thomas O. Knight & Rulon D. Pope & Jeffery R. Williams, 1996. "Modeling Farm-Level Crop Insurance Demand with Panel Data," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(2), pages 439-447.
- H. Holly Wang & Hao Zhang, 2003. "On the Possibility of a Private Crop Insurance Market: A Spatial Statistics Approach," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 70(1), pages 111-124.
- Steven C. Blank & Jeffrey McDonald, 1996. "Preferences for crop insurance when farmers are diversified," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(6), pages 583-592.
- Serra, Teresa & Goodwin, Barry K. & Featherstone, Allen M., 2003. "Modeling Changes In The U.S. Demand For Crop Insurance During The 1990s," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 22019, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Joseph W. Glauber, 2004. "Crop Insurance Reconsidered," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(5), pages 1179-1195.
- Garrido, Alberto & Zilberman, David, 2007.
"Revisiting the demand of agricultural insurance: The case of Spain,"
101st Seminar, July 5-6, 2007, Berlin Germany
9266, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Alberto Garrido & David Zilberman, 2008. "Revisiting the demand for agricultural insurance: the case of Spain," Agricultural Finance Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 68(1), pages 43-66, September.
- Byeongyong Paul Choi & Mary A. Weiss, 2005. "An Empirical Investigation of Market Structure, Efficiency, and Performance in Property-Liability Insurance," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 72(4), pages 635-673.
- Bruce J. Sherrick & Peter J. Barry & Paul N. Ellinger & Gary D. Schnitkey, 2004. "Factors Influencing Farmers' Crop Insurance Decisions," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(1), pages 103-114.
- Vincent H. Smith & Alan E. Baquet, 1996. "The Demand for Multiple Peril Crop Insurance: Evidence from Montana Wheat Farms," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(1), pages 189-201.
- Niehaus, Greg, 2002. "The allocation of catastrophe risk," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(2-3), pages 585-596, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:eaae08:44395. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.