Revisiting the demand for agricultural insurance: the case of Spain
This paper seeks to characterize the factors that explain crop insurance participation. A stylized model of insurance demand, with a simple setup of one crop. CARA preferences, yield insurance, and PDfs for revenue and yeild with moment-generating functions, provides a number of hypotheses about the incentives to contract crop insurance. In the empirical model, we use the actual insurance records of 41,660 Spanish farmers and 12 years of data to estimate six probit models for the insuring versus non-insuring choice, based on individual loss ratios and the dispersion of indemnities, together with idiosyncratic and geographical variables. Results suggest that adverse selection is not a major source of inefficiency in the Spanish insurance system, nor is it the primary motivation to contract crop insurance. Premium subsidies are the leading factor that increases the probability of using insurance. Conclusions are applicable to very diverse farms in Spain.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 68 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK|
Web: http://emeraldgrouppublishing.com/products/journals/journals.htm?id=afr Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nimon, R. Wesley & Mishra, Ashok K., 2001. "Revenue Insurance and Chemical Input Use Rates," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20669, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Moschini, GianCarlo & Hennessy, David A., 2001.
"Uncertainty, Risk Aversion, and Risk Management for Agricultural Producers,"
Staff General Research Papers Archive
5323, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Moschini, Giancarlo & Hennessy, David A., 2001. "Uncertainty, risk aversion, and risk management for agricultural producers," Handbook of Agricultural Economics, in: B. L. Gardner & G. C. Rausser (ed.), Handbook of Agricultural Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 2, pages 88-153 Elsevier.
- Barnett, Barry J., 2004. "Agricultural Index Insurance Products: Strengths And Limitations," Agricultural Outlook Forum 2004 32971, United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Outlook Forum.
- Quiggin, John C. & Karagiannis, Giannis & Stanton, J., 1993.
"Crop Insurance And Crop Production: An Empirical Study Of Moral Hazard And Adverse Selection,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 37(02), August.
- John C. Quiggin & Giannis Karagiannis & J. Stanton, 1993. "Crop Insurance And Crop Production: An Empirical Study Of Moral Hazard And Adverse Selection," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 37(2), pages 95-113, 08.
- Babcock, Bruce A. & Hennessy, David A., 1996.
"Input Demand Under Yield and Revenue Insurance,"
Staff General Research Papers Archive
794, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Bruce A. Babcock & Joseph A. Herriges, 1994. "Input Demand Under Yield and Revenue Insurance," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 94-wp127, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Keith H. Coble & Thomas O. Knight & Rulon D. Pope & Jeffery R. Williams, 1996. "Modeling Farm-Level Crop Insurance Demand with Panel Data," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(2), pages 439-447.
- Vincent H. Smith & Barry K. Goodwin, 1996. "Crop Insurance, Moral Hazard, and Agricultural Chemical Use," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(2), pages 428-438.
- Goodwin, Barry K., 1994. "Premium Rate Determination In The Federal Crop Insurance Program: What Do Averages Have To Say About Risk?," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 19(02), December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eme:afrpps:v:68:y:2008:i:1:p:43-66. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Louise Lister)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.