A prospect of moving towards free milk quota market in Ireland – will milk quota movement follow efficiency?
Quota trade in Ireland is ‘ring fenced’ to milk processors where farmers are not allowed to trade milk quota outside their designated milk processor. This ensures milk production staying within a region but has implications for the efficiency of milk production. In this paper, we simulated a free milk quota market in Ireland and compared the results with a milk quota exchange which was ring fenced to determine if the quota move from an inefficient region to a more efficient region. The results show that quota indeed follow efficiency of production when there is restriction over trade area.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.eaae.org|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alston, Julian M., 1981. "A Note on the Effects of Non-Transferable Quotas on Supply Functions," Review of Marketing and Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 49(03), December.
- David Colman & Michael Burton & Dan Rigby & Jeremy Franks, 2002.
"Structural Change and Policy Reform in the UK Dairy Sector,"
Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(3), pages 645-663.
- D Colman & M Burton & D Rigby & J Franks, 2001. "Structural Change and Policy Reform in the UK Dairy Sector," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 0117, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Boots, Maroeska & Oude Lansink, Alfons & Peerlings, Jack, 1997. "Efficiency Loss Due to Distortions in Dutch Milk Quota Trade," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 24(1), pages 31-46.
- Oskam, A. J. & Speijers, D. P., 1992. "Quota mobility and quota values : Influence on the structural development of dairy farming," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 41-52, February.
- Colman, David, 2000. "Inefficiencies in the UK milk quota system," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 1-16, February. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:eaae08:43657. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.