Analyzing the Impacts of the Proposed North American Free Trade Agreement on European-North American Dairy Trade Using a Joint-Input, Multi-Product Approach
Mathematical programming models, as typically formulated for international trade applications, may contain certain implied restrictions limiting price responsiveness, intermediate product flows, and arbitrage possibilities. These restrictions are especially important in the case of dairy, and may lead to results which are technically infeasible, or if feasible, not consistent with market equilibrating behavior. The difficulties encountered when modeling dairy trade are described, and an alternative formulation of a spatial model is presented. This formulation allows joint-inputs, multi-products, intermediate markets, and pure transshipment and product substitution forms of arbitrage.
|Date of creation:||Sep 1993|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Warren Hall, Ithaca NY 14853|
Web page: http://aem.cornell.edu/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard E. Just & Ernst Lutz & Andrew Schmitz & Stephen Tumovsky, 1977. "The Distribution of Welfare Gains from International Price Stabilization under Distortions," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 59(4), pages 652-661.
- Honma, Masayoshi & Hayami, Yujiro, 1986. "Structure of agricultural protection in industrial countries," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-2), pages 115-129, February.
- Giovanni Anania & Alex F. McCalla, 1991. "Does Arbitraging Matter? Spatial Trade Models and Discriminatory Trade Policies," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 73(1), pages 103-117.
- Just, Richard & Lutz, Ernst & Schmitz, Andrew & Turnovsky, Stephen, 1978. "The distribution of welfare gains from price stabilization : An international perspective," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 551-563, November.
- Anderson, Kym & Tyers, Rod, 1988.
"Agricultural Protection Growth in Advanced and Newly Industrialized Countries,"
1988 Conference, August 24-31, 1988, Buenos Aires, Argentina
183108, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Kym Anderson & Rod Tyers, 1988. "Agricultural Protection Growth in Advanced and Newly Industrialized Countries," School of Economics Working Papers 1988-08, University of Adelaide, School of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:cudasp:121341. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.