Adoption of Improved Maize Seed by Smallholder Farmers in Mozambique
The objective of this paper is to investigate factors influencing the adoption of improved maize seed by smallholder farmers in Mozambique. The data used in this study were obtained from a national random sample of 4,908 smallholder farmers conducted by the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development in 2002. Using Probit and Logit models, the main factors influencing adoption of improved maize seed were identified. The results of this analysis indicate that fifteen out of twenty five factors are significantly found to be the determining factors influencing the probability of adopting improved maize seed. To increase the likelihood of adopting improved maize seed, policy makers should put more emphasis on improving rural infrastructures and providing better education.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Warren Hall, Ithaca NY 14853|
Web page: http://aem.cornell.edu/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Doss, Cheryl R., 2003. "Understanding Farm-Level Technology Adoption: Lessons Learned From Cimmyt'S Micro Surveys In Eastern Africa," Economics Working Papers 46552, CIMMYT: International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center.
- Feder, Gershon & Just, Richard E & Zilberman, David, 1985. "Adoption of Agricultural Innovations in Developing Countries: A Survey," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 33(2), pages 255-98, January.
- Howard, Julie A. & Low, Jan W. & Jeje, Jose Jaime & Boughton, Duncan & Massingue, Jaquelino & Maredia, Mywish K., 2001. "Constraints and Strategies for the Development of the Seed System in Mozambique," Food Security Collaborative Working Papers 56045, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- repec:fth:oxesaf:2000-5 is not listed on IDEAS
- Christine M. Moser & Christopher B. Barrett, 2006.
"The complex dynamics of smallholder technology adoption: the case of SRI in Madagascar,"
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 35(3), pages 373-388, November.
- Moser, Christine M. & Barrett, Christopher B., 2003. "The Complex Dynamics Of Smallholder Technology Adoption: The Case Of Sri In Madagascar," Working Papers 14735, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Kosarek, Jennifer L. & Garcia, Philip & Morris, Michael L., 2001. "Factors explaining the diffusion of hybrid maize in Latin America and the Caribbean region," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 26(3), pages 267-280, December.
- Hintze, L. H. & Renkow, M. & Sain, G., 2003. "Variety characteristics and maize adoption in Honduras," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 29(3), pages 307-317, December.
- Hintze, L. H. & Renkow, M. & Sain, G., 2003. "Variety characteristics and maize adoption in Honduras," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 29(3), December.
- Nkamleu, G. B. & Adesina, A. A., 2000. "Determinants of chemical input use in peri-urban lowland systems: bivariate probit analysis in Cameroon," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 111-121, February.
- Asfaw, Abay & Admassie, Assefa, 2004. "The role of education on the adoption of chemical fertiliser under different socioeconomic environments in Ethiopia," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 30(3), pages 215-228, May.
- Sharada Weir & John Knight, 2000. "Adoption and diffusion of agricultural innovations in Ethiopia: the role of Education," CSAE Working Paper Series 2000-05, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Payne, Tim & Fernandez-Cornejo, Jorge & Daberkow, Stan G., 2003. "Factors Affecting The Likelihood Of Corn Rootworm Bt Seed Adoption," 2003 Annual Meeting, July 13-16, 2003, Denver, Colorado 35983, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- repec:oxf:wpaper:wps/2000-05 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:cudasp:121065. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.