An Analysis of Scope Economies and Technical Efficiency in Intensive Rainfed Lowland Rice-based Cropping Systems in Northwest Luzon, Philippines
Farming in the rainfed lowlands of northwest Luzon, Philippines, is highly intensive, diversified, and commercialised. The cropping-system is predominantly rice-based in the wet season and high-value cash crops are grown during the dry season. Using panel data from 100 randomly selected farmers, a stochastic input distance function is used to investigate scope economies in this environment. Results show that significant scope economies exist between rice and the major dry-season crops of garlic and mungbean. Scope diseconomies exist between rice and maize.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200|
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Coelli, Tim & Fleming, Euan, 2004.
"Diversification economies and specialisation efficiencies in a mixed food and coffee smallholder farming system in Papua New Guinea,"
Blackwell, vol. 31(2-3), pages 229-239, December.
- Coelli, Tim J. & Fleming, Euan M., 2003. "Diversification Economies And Specialisation Efficiencies In A Mixed Food And Coffee Smallholder Farming System In Papua New Guinea," 2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa 25841, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Villano, Renato A. & O'Donnell, Christopher J. & Battese, George E., 2005. "An Investigation of Production Risk, Risk Preferences and Technical Efficiency: Evidence From Rainfed Lowland Rice Farms in the Philippines," Working Papers 12953, University of New England, School of Economics.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-32.
- Kodde, David A & Palm, Franz C, 1986. "Wald Criteria for Jointly Testing Equality and Inequality Restriction s," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(5), pages 1243-48, September.
- Chavas, Jean-Paul & Aliber, Michael, 1993. "An Analysis Of Economic Efficiency In Agriculture: A Nonparametric Approach," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 18(01), July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aare05:139294. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.