An Analysis of Scope Economies and Technical Efficiency in Intensive Rainfed Lowland Rice-based Cropping Systems in Northwest Luzon, Philippines
Farming in the rainfed lowlands of northwest Luzon, Philippines, is highly intensive, diversified, and commercialised. The cropping-system is predominantly rice-based in the wet season and high-value cash crops are grown during the dry season. Using panel data from 100 randomly selected farmers, a stochastic input distance function is used to investigate scope economies in this environment. Results show that significant scope economies exist between rice and the major dry-season crops of garlic and mungbean. Scope diseconomies exist between rice and maize.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-32.
- Kodde, David A & Palm, Franz C, 1986. "Wald Criteria for Jointly Testing Equality and Inequality Restriction s," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(5), pages 1243-48, September.
- Villano, Renato A. & O'Donnell, Christopher J. & Battese, George E., 2005. "An Investigation of Production Risk, Risk Preferences and Technical Efficiency: Evidence From Rainfed Lowland Rice Farms in the Philippines," Working Papers 12953, University of New England, School of Economics.
- Coelli, Tim & Fleming, Euan, 2004.
"Diversification economies and specialisation efficiencies in a mixed food and coffee smallholder farming system in Papua New Guinea,"
Blackwell, vol. 31(2-3), pages 229-239, December.
- Coelli, Tim J. & Fleming, Euan M., 2003. "Diversification Economies And Specialisation Efficiencies In A Mixed Food And Coffee Smallholder Farming System In Papua New Guinea," 2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa 25841, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Chavas, Jean-Paul & Aliber, Michael, 1993. "An Analysis Of Economic Efficiency In Agriculture: A Nonparametric Approach," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 18(01), July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aare05:139294. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.