Temporal Stability of Recreation Choices
We evaluate the stability of coefficient and willingness to pay (WTP) estimates for recreation services over two time periods. To address this question, we estimate a Random Utility Maximization (RUM) model of recreation demand, using two datasets from different time periods, but concerning the same study area. We then compare the estimation results and evaluate the temporal stability of preferences that drive recreation choices. The two datasets are on trips made by Delaware residents to beaches in the Mid-Atlantic region: Delaware, New Jersey, Maryland and Northern Virginia. The first dataset was collected using a mail survey in 1997 and the second dataset was gathered through an Internet survey in 2005. Besides the time periods, and the survey methods, there are also significant sample size differences between the two datasets. In the 1997 sample, 400 Delaware residents made at least one day trip, while in the 2005 dataset, only 50 Delawareans visited the beaches of interest.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hensher, David & Louviere, Jordan & Swait, Joffre, 1998. "Combining sources of preference data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 89(1-2), pages 197-221, November.
- Parsons, George R. & Jakus, Paul M. & Tomasi, Ted, 1999. "A Comparison of Welfare Estimates from Four Models for Linking Seasonal Recreational Trips to Multinomial Logit Models of Site Choice," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 143-157, September.
- Krinsky, Itzhak & Robb, A Leslie, 1986. "On Approximating the Statistical Properties of Elasticities," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 68(4), pages 715-19, November.
- Brouwer, Roy, 2000. "Environmental value transfer: state of the art and future prospects," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 137-152, January.
- Kirchhoff, Stefanie & Colby, Bonnie G. & LaFrance, Jeffrey T., 1997. "Evaluating the Performance of Benefit Transfer: An Empirical Inquiry," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 75-93, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea09:49296. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.