Further Evidence of Price Transmission and Asymmetric Adjustment in the U.S. Beef and Pork Sectors
This paper expands the contributions of Goodwin and Holt (AJAE, 1999) and Goodwin and Harper (J. of Ag. and Appl. Econ., 2000), GHH henceforth, who analyze retail-wholesale-farm price transmissions in the U.S. beef and pork industries using weekly data. First, in light of advancements in unit root tests, we re-examine in a more comprehensive manner GHH’s conclusion that the weekly U.S. cattle/beef and hog/pork price series are nonstationary. The conventional augmented Dickey-Fuller test that GHH adopt has low power in discriminating against the unit root null because it does not entertain the possibility of a structure break in the deterministic trend function. Second, we examine more closely the estimation procedure surrounding the long run price linkage equation, ensuring the unbiasedness in the estimated long run price transmission coefficient. Moreover, we ascertain whether there have been structural changes in the long run price linkage equation using a new approach, which endogenously estimates the break date. Third, we employ two data sets with different frequencies, weekly data and monthly data, to gain insight into the reasons underlying price asymmetry found in GHH.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nelson, Charles R. & Plosser, Charles I., 1982. "Trends and random walks in macroeconmic time series : Some evidence and implications," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 139-162.
- Goodwin, Barry K. & Harper, Daniel C., 2000.
"Price Transmission, Threshold Behavior, And Asymmetric Adjustment In The U.S. Pork Sector,"
Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics,
Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 32(03), December.
- Harper, Daniel C. & Goodwin, Barry K., 1999. "Price Transmission, Threshold Behavior, And Asymmetric Adjustment In The U.S. Pork Sector," 1999 Annual meeting, August 8-11, Nashville, TN 21666, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Perron, Pierre, 1997.
"Further evidence on breaking trend functions in macroeconomic variables,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 355-385, October.
- Perron, P., 1994. "Further Evidence on Breaking Trend Functions in Macroeconomic Variables," Cahiers de recherche 9421, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Perron, P., 1994. "Further Evidence on Breaking Trend Functions in Macroeconomic Variables," Cahiers de recherche 9421, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Perron, P., 1990. "Further Evidence On Breaking Trend Functions In Macroeconomics Variables," Papers 350, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Banerjee, Anindya & Dolado, Juan J. & Galbraith, John W. & Hendry, David, 1993. "Co-integration, Error Correction, and the Econometric Analysis of Non-Stationary Data," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198288107, March.
- Nathan S. Balke & Thomas B. Fomby, 1992.
9209, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Liu, Ming-Hua & Margaritis, Dimitri & Tourani-Rad, Alireza, 2008. "Monetary policy transparency and pass-through of retail interest rates," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 501-511, April.
- Hendry, David F. & Pagan, Adrian R. & Sargan, J.Denis, 1984. "Dynamic specification," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 18, pages 1023-1100 Elsevier.
- Granger, C. W. J. & Newbold, P., 1974. "Spurious regressions in econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 111-120, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea08:6169. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.