A Structural Econometric Model of Consumer Demand at Pick-Your-Own Fruit Operations
This paper develops a fully structural econometric consumer demand model for goods which have time and monetary costs, and where time spent obtaining the goods also enters into the utility function. The model is used to analyze customers' decision to buy pick-your-own versus pre-harvested fruit at North Carolina pick-your-own fruit operations. The empirical application distinguishes the double effect of time as a resource constraint and also providing utility. Elasticity estimates show that strawberries sold at pick-your-own operations are price elastic, with pick-your-own fruit being less price elastic than pre-harvested fruit.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richards, Timothy J. & Patterson, Paul M., 1999. "The Economic Value Of Public Relations Expenditures: Food Safety And The Strawberry Case," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 24(02), December.
- Govindasamy, Ramu & Nayga, Rodolfo M., Jr., 1997. "Determinants Of Farmer-To-Consumer Direct Market Visits By Type Of Facility: A Logit Analysis," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 26(1), April.
- Phaneuf, Daniel J. & Smith, V. Kerry, 2006. "Recreation Demand Models," Handbook of Environmental Economics, in: K. G. Mäler & J. R. Vincent (ed.), Handbook of Environmental Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 15, pages 671-761 Elsevier.
- Jeongwen Chiang, 1991. "A Simultaneous Approach to the Whether, What and How Much to Buy Questions," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 10(4), pages 297-315.
- Douglas M. Larson & Sabina L. Shaikh, 2001. "Empirical Specification Requirements for Two-Constraint Models of Recreation Choice," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(2), pages 428-440.
- Colin A. Carter & James A. Chalfant & Rachael E. Goodhue & Frank M. Han & Massimiliano DeSantis, 2005. "The Methyl Bromide Ban: Economic Impacts on the California Strawberry Industry," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 27(2), pages 181-197.
- Stewart, Mark B, 1982.
"On Least Squares Estimation when the Dependent Variable is Grouped,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
207, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Stewart, Mark B, 1983. "On Least Squares Estimation When the Dependent Variable Is Grouped," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(4), pages 737-53, October.
- Mark B. Stewart, 1982. "On Least Squares Estimation When the Dependent Variable is Grouped," Working Papers 539, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Hanemann, W Michael, 1984. "Discrete-Continuous Models of Consumer Demand," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 541-61, May.
- Dubin, Jeffrey A & McFadden, Daniel L, 1984. "An Econometric Analysis of Residential Electric Appliance Holdings and Consumption," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(2), pages 345-62, March.
- Pradeep K. Chintagunta, 1993. "Investigating Purchase Incidence, Brand Choice and Purchase Quantity Decisions of Households," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 12(2), pages 184-208.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea06:21372. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.