Income Growth And Pesticide Consumption In The Future: Applying The Environmental Kuznets Curve Hypothesis
Applying the Environmental Kuznets Curve hypothesis, the economic structure of pesticide consumption in the world was examined and its future consumption was predicted. It was found that the hypothesis is applicable and the income level significantly affects the pesticide consumption. Additionally, sustained population per land is also influential. In spite of the applicability of the hypothesis, it was also demonstrated that the great increase of pesticide consumption in developing countries would be predicted. Furthermore, among pesticide categories, the increase of insecticide consumption would be predicted even in developed countries.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bruce A. Babcock & Erik Lichtenberg & David Zilberman, 1992.
"Impact of Damage Control and Quality of Output: Estimating Pest Control Effectiveness,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 74(1), pages 163-172.
- Babcock, Bruce A. & Lichtenberg, E. & Zilberman, David, 1992. "Impact of Damage Control and Quality of Output: Estimating Pest Control Effectiveness," Staff General Research Papers 10589, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Grossman, Gene M. & Krueger, Alan B., 1996. "The inverted-U: what does it mean?," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(01), pages 119-122, February.
- Koop, Gary & Tole, Lise, 1999. "Is there an environmental Kuznets curve for deforestation?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 231-244, February.
- Stephen L. Ott, 1990. "Supermarket shoppers' pesticide concerns and willingness to purchase certified pesticide residue-free fresh produce," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(6), pages 593-602.
- Barbier, Edward B., 1997.
"Introduction to the environmental Kuznets curve special issue,"
Environment and Development Economics,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(04), pages 369-381, November.
- Barbier, Edward B., 1997. "Introduction to the environmental Kuznets curve special issue," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(04), pages 357-367, November.
- Stern , David I., 1998. "Progress on the environmental Kuznets curve?," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(02), pages 173-196, May.
- Hettige, Hemamala & Mani, Muthukumara & Wheeler, David, 2000. "Industrial pollution in economic development: the environmental Kuznets curve revisited," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 445-476, August.
- Stern, David I. & Common, Michael S. & Barbier, Edward B., 1996. "Economic growth and environmental degradation: The environmental Kuznets curve and sustainable development," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(7), pages 1151-1160, July.
- De Bruyn, Sander M., 1997. "Explaining the environmental Kuznets curve: structural change and international agreements in reducing sulphur emissions," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(04), pages 485-503, November.
- Selden Thomas M. & Song Daqing, 1994. "Environmental Quality and Development: Is There a Kuznets Curve for Air Pollution Emissions?," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 147-162, September.
- de Bruyn, S. M. & Opschoor, J. B., 1997. "Developments in the throughput-income relationship: theoretical and empirical observations," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 255-268, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea03:22055. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.