Consumer Acceptance Of Genetically Modified Foods: A Telephone Survey
This paper reports results from a pilot U.S. national telephone survey on genetically modified foods (vegetable oil, cornflake cereal, and salmon). The survey featured contingent valuation in which respondents chose between the GM and non-GM alternatives. The binary and multinomial logit models yield estimated willingness to pay to avoid the GM alternatives. Perceived risk of GM food is an important determinant of GM choice along with the price. Respondents are willing to pay 41.2%, 31.4%, 40.9%, and 52.5% of the base prices to avoid GM vegetable oil, GM cornflakes, GM-fed salmon, and GM salmon, respectively.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Timothy Haab, 1999. "Nonparticipation or Misspecification? The Impacts of Nonparticipation on Dichotomous Choice Contingent Valuation," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 14(4), pages 443-461, December.
- Trudy Ann Cameron & John Quiggin, 1992.
"Estimation Using Contingent Valuation Data From a "Dichotomous Choice with Follow-Up" Questionnaire,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
653, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Cameron Trudy Ann & Quiggin John, 1994. "Estimation Using Contingent Valuation Data from a Dichotomous Choice with Follow-Up Questionnaire," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 218-234, November.
- An, Mark Y. & Roberto Ayala, 1995.
"A Mixture Model of Willingness to Pay Distributions,"
95-21, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Mark Yuying An & Roberto Ayala, 1996. "A Mixture Model of Willingness to Pay Distributions," Econometrics 9611002, EconWPA.
- Alberini Anna, 1995. "Efficiency vs Bias of Willingness-to-Pay Estimates: Bivariate and Interval-Data Models," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 169-180, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea03:21999. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.