Determinants Of The Value Of Site-Specific Information (Ssi) In Agriculture: A Unifying Theory To Analyze Its Relative Impacts
This paper develops a theoretically consistent behavioral model of farmer decision-making that allows for analysis of the relative impacts of the determinants of SSI value. The model departs from previous literature by assuming that SSI reduces uncertainty, but not eliminate it. Results show that increasing the accuracy (or the "level of informativeness") of SSI, increasing initial wealth, improving management ability to reduce uncertainty in the posterior, and increasing the uncertainty in the prior, increases the value of SSI. Furthermore, mean input use is found to decrease, as SSI becomes more "informative." On the other hand, the value of SSI is found to be decreasing as relative risk aversion increases. These results have policy implications for controlling non-point source pollution from fertilizer inputs and SSI-adoption behavior.
|Date of creation:||2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Atanu Saha & C. Richard Shumway & Hovav Talpaz, 1994. "Joint Estimation of Risk Preference Structure and Technology Using Expo-Power Utility," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 76(2), pages 173-184.
- Hennessy, David A. & Babcock, Bruce A., 1998. "Information, flexibility, and value added1," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 431-449, December.
- Lins, David A. & Gabriel, Stephen C. & Sonka, Steven T., 1981. "An Analysis Of The Risk Aversion Of Farm Operators: An Asset Portfolio Approach," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 6(01), July.
- Swinton, Scott M. & Jones, Kezelee Q., 1998. "From Data To Information: The Value Of Sampling Vs. Sensing Soil Data," Staff Papers 11674, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Pautsch, Gregory R. & Babcock, Bruce A. & Breidt, F. Jay, 1999.
"Optimal Information Acquisition Under A Geostatistical Model,"
Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 24(02), December.
- Gregory R. Pautsch & Bruce A. Babcock & F. Jay Breidt, 1999. "Optimal Information Acquisition under a Geostatistical Model," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 99-wp217, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Pautsch, Gregory R. & Babcock, Bruce A. & Breidt, F. J., 1999. "Optimal Information Acquisition Under a Geostatistical Model," Staff General Research Papers 1517, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Chavas, Jean-Paul & Holt, Matthew T, 1996. "Economic Behavior under Uncertainty: A Joint Analysis of Risk Preferences and Technology," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 78(2), pages 329-35, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea00:21779. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.