Supermarkets, farm household income and poverty: Insights from Kenya
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- David Neven & Thomas Reardon, 2004. "The Rise of Kenyan Supermarkets and the Evolution of their Horticulture Product Procurement Systems," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 22(6), pages 669-699, November.
- Willis, Robert J & Rosen, Sherwin, 1979. "Education and Self-Selection," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(5), pages 7-36, October.
- Meike Wollni & Manfred Zeller, 2007. "Do farmers benefit from participating in specialty markets and cooperatives? The case of coffee marketing in Costa Rica-super-1," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 37(2-3), pages 243-248, September.
- Minten, Bart & Randrianarison, Lalaina & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2009.
"Global Retail Chains and Poor Farmers: Evidence from Madagascar,"
Elsevier, pages 1728-1741.
- Bart Minten & Lalaina Randrianarison & Johan F.M. Swinnen, 2006. "Global Retail Chains and Poor Farmers: Evidence from Madagascar," LICOS Discussion Papers 16406, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Dave D. Weatherspoon & Thomas Reardon, 2003. "The Rise of Supermarkets in Africa: Implications for Agrifood Systems and the Rural Poor," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 21, pages 333-355, May.
- Neven, David & Odera, Michael Makokha & Reardon, Thomas & Wang, Honglin, 2009. "Kenyan Supermarkets, Emerging Middle-Class Horticultural Farmers, and Employment Impacts on the Rural Poor," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(11), pages 1802-1811, November.
- Miyata, Sachiko & Minot, Nicholas & Hu, Dinghuan, 2009.
"Impact of Contract Farming on Income: Linking Small Farmers, Packers, and Supermarkets in China,"
Elsevier, vol. 37(11), pages 1781-1790, November.
- Miyata, Sachiko & Minot, Nicholas & Hu, Dinghuan, 2007. "Impact of contract farming on income: Linking small farmers, packers, and supermarket in China," IFPRI discussion papers 742, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Neven, David & Reardon, Thomas & Chege, Jonathan & Wang, Honglin, 2005. "Supermarkets And Consumers In Africa: The Case Of Nairobi, Kenya," Staff Papers 11584, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Thomas Reardon & C. Peter Timmer & Christopher B. Barrett & Julio Berdegué, 2003. "The Rise of Supermarkets in Africa, Asia, and Latin America," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(5), pages 1140-1146.
- Reardon, Thomas & Barrett, Christopher B. & Berdegué, Julio A. & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2009. "Agrifood Industry Transformation and Small Farmers in Developing Countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(11), pages 1717-1727, November.
- Keith O. Fuglie & Darrell J. Bosch, 1995. "Economic and Environmental Implications of Soil Nitrogen Testing: A Switching-Regression Analysis," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 77(4), pages 891-900.
- Bolwig, Simon & Gibbon, Peter & Jones, Sam, 2009. "The Economics of Smallholder Organic Contract Farming in Tropical Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 1094-1104, June.
- Rivers, Douglas & Vuong, Quang H., 1988. "Limited information estimators and exogeneity tests for simultaneous probit models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 347-366, November.
- Michael Lokshin & Zurab Sajaia, 2004. "Maximum likelihood estimation of endogenous switching regression models," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 4(3), pages 282-289, September.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Nassul S. Kabunga & Thomas Dubois & Matin Qaim, 2012.
"Yield Effects of Tissue Culture Bananas in Kenya: Accounting for Selection Bias and the Role of Complementary Inputs,"
Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 63(2), pages 444-464, June.
- Kabunga, Nassul S. & Dubois, Thomas & Qaim, Matin, 2011. "Yield Effects of Tissue Culture Bananas in Kenya: Accounting for Selection Bias and the Role of Complementary Inputs," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Berlin 2011 43, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Nassul S. Kabunga & Thomas Dubois & Matin Qaim, 2011. "Yield Effects of Tissue Culture Bananas in Kenya: Accounting for Selection Bias and the Role of Complementary Inputs," Courant Research Centre: Poverty, Equity and Growth - Discussion Papers 82, Courant Research Centre PEG.
- Herforth, Nico & Theuvsen, Ludwig & Vásquez, Wilson & Wollni, Meike, 2015. "Understanding participation in modern supply chains under a social network perspective – evidence from blackberry farmers in the Ecuadorian Andes," Discussion Papers 197709, Georg-August-Universitaet Goettingen, GlobalFood, Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development.
- Jalang'o, Dorcas Anyango & Otieno, David Jakinda & Kosura, Willis-Oluoch, 2016. "Factors influencing smallholder farmers’ participation in domestic high value markets for African Indigenous Vegetables in rural Kenya," 2016 AAAE Fifth International Conference, September 23-26, 2016, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia 246390, African Association of Agricultural Economists (AAAE).
- Hichaambwa, Munguzwe & Chamberlin, Chamberlin & Kabwe, Stephen, 2015. "Is Smallholder Horticulture the Unfunded Poverty Reduction Option in Zambia? A Comparative Assessment of Welfare Effects of Participation in Horticultural and Maize Markets," Food Security Collaborative Working Papers 207022, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Langat, B.K. & Ngéno, V.K. & Nyangweso, Philip M. & Mutwol, M. J. & Gohole, L. & Yaninek, S., 2013. "Drivers of Technology Adoption in a Subsistence Economy: The case of Tissue Culture Bananas in Western Kenya," 2013 AAAE Fourth International Conference, September 22-25, 2013, Hammamet, Tunisia 161444, African Association of Agricultural Economists (AAAE).
- Swinnen Johan & Vandeplas Anneleen, 2012.
"Rich Consumers and Poor Producers: Quality and Rent Distribution in Global Value Chains,"
Journal of Globalization and Development,
De Gruyter, vol. 2(2), pages 1-30, January.
- Swinnen, Johan F.M. & Vandeplas, Anneleen, 2009. "Rich consumers and poor producers: Quality and rent distribution in global value chains," IFPRI discussion papers 932, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
More about this item
Keywordssupermarkets; per capita income; sample selection; endogenous switching regression; Kenya; Africa; Agribusiness; Food Security and Poverty;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaae10:95771. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/aaaeaea.html .