Service Oligopolies and Australia's Economy-Wide Performance
The retreat from public ownership of service firms and industries has left behind numerous private monopolies and oligopolies supervised by regulatory agencies. Services industries in government and private ownership generate two-thirds of Australia's value added and employ three quarters of its workforce. This study offers an economy-wide approach that represents monopoly and oligopoly behaviour explicitly. It examines the implications of oligopoly rents for factor markets and the real exchange rate, the extent of sectoral interactions and the potential economy wide gains from tighter price cap regulation, with the results confirming the merit of an economy-wide approach. External shocks, like the present "China boom", are also simulated. Such positive shocks are shown to expand the potential for oligopoly rents and therefore to raise the bar for regulatory agencies. Moreover, less than tight price caps are shown to exacerbate entry-exit hysteresis in boom and bust cycles.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +61 2 6125 3807
Fax: +61 2 6125 0744
Web page: http://rse.anu.edu.au/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ricardo J Caballero & Guido Lorenzoni, 2014.
"Persistent Appreciations and Overshooting: A Normative Analysis,"
IMF Economic Review,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 62(1), pages 1-47, April.
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Guido Lorenzoni, 2007. "Persistent Appreciations and Overshooting: A Normative Analysis," NBER Working Papers 13077, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guido Lorenzoni & Ricardo J. Caballero, 2007. "Persistent Appreciations and Overshooting: A Normative Analysis," 2007 Meeting Papers 196, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Gary Madden & Harry Bloch & Grant Coble-Neal, 2002.
"Labour and capital saving technical change in telecommunications,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(14), pages 1821-1828.
- Madden, Gary G & Bloch, Harry & Coble-Neal, Grant, 2002. "Labour and capital saving technical change in telecommunications," MPRA Paper 10683, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Robert Breunig & Jeremy Hornby & Scott Stacey & Flavio Menezes, 2006. "Price Regulation in Australia: How Consistent Has It Been?," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 82(256), pages 67-76, 03.
- Steve Dowrick & Karen Mumford, 1990.
"Wage Bargaining with Endogenous Profits, Overtime Working and Heterogeneous Labor,"
657, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Mumford, Karen & Dowrick, Steve, 1994. "Wage Bargaining with Endogenous Profits, Overtime Working and Heterogeneous Labor," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(2), pages 329-36, May.
- Leon Courville, 1974. "Regulation and Efficiency in the Electric Utility Industry," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 5(1), pages 53-74, Spring.
- Brennan, Timothy J, 1989. "Regulating by Capping Prices," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 133-47, June.
- Mark J. Melitz, 2002.
"The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity,"
NBER Working Papers
8881, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marc J. Melitz, 2003. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(6), pages 1695-1725, November.
- Melitz, Marc J, 2002. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," CEPR Discussion Papers 3381, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Harry Bloch & A. Michael Dockery & C. Wyn Morgan & David Sapsford, 2007.
"Growth, Commodity Prices, Inflation And The Distribution Of Income,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(1), pages 3-44, 02.
- Harry Bloch & Michael Dockery & Wyn Morgan & David Sapsford, 2004. "Growth, Commodity Prices, Inflation and the Distribution of Income," Research Papers 200404, University of Liverpool Management School.
- Balistreri, Edward J. & Hillberry, Russell H. & Rutherford, Thomas F., 2011.
"Structural estimation and solution of international trade models with heterogeneous firms,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 83(2), pages 95-108, March.
- Edward J. Balistreri & Russell H. Hillberry & Thomas F. Rutherford, 2008. "Structural Estimation and Solution of International Trade Models with Heterogeneous Firms," CER-ETH Economics working paper series 08/89, CER-ETH - Center of Economic Research (CER-ETH) at ETH Zurich.
- Edward J. Balistreri & Russell H. Hillberry & Thomas F. Rutherford, 2008. "Structural Estimation and Solution of International Trade Models with Heterogeneous Firms," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 1056, The University of Melbourne.
- Russell H. Hillberry & Edward J. Balistreri & Thomas F. Rutherford, 2007. "Structural Estimation and Solution of International Trade Models with Heterogeneous Firms," DEGIT Conference Papers c012_038, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Don, H. & Gunasekera, B. H. & Tyers, Rod, 1990.
"Imperfect competition and returns to scale in a newly industrialising economy : A general equilibrium analysis of Korean trade policy,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 34(1-2), pages 223-247, November.
- Don Gunasekera & Rod Tyers, 1989. "Imperfect Competition and Returns to Scale in a Newly Industrialising Economy: A General Equilibrium Analysis of Korean Trade Policy," School of Economics Working Papers 1989-04, University of Adelaide, School of Economics.
- Harris, Richard, 1984.
"Applied General Equilibrium Analysis of Small Open Economies with Scale Economies and Imperfect Competition,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 74(5), pages 1016-32, December.
- Richard Harris, 1983. "Applied General Equilibrium Analysis of Small Open Economies with Scale Economies and Imperfect Competition," Working Papers 524, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Dowrick, S., 1992.
"Enterprise Bargaining, Union Structure and Wages,"
242, Australian National University - Department of Economics.
- Xavier, Patrick, 1995. "Price cap regulation for telecommunications: How has it performed in practice?," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 19(8), pages 599-617, November.
- Corden, W Max & Neary, J Peter, 1982. "Booming Sector and De-Industrialisation in a Small Open Economy," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(368), pages 825-48, December.
- Philippa Dee, 2003. "Modelling the Policy Issues in Services Trade," Economie Internationale, CEPII research center, issue 94-95, pages 283-300.
- Bradley, Ian & Price, Catherine, 1988. "The Economic Regulation of Private Industries by Price Constraints," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(1), pages 99-106, September.
- Cabral, Luis M B & Riordan, Michael H, 1989. "Incentives for Cost Reduction under Price Cap Regulation," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 93-102, June.
- Ianchovichina, Elena & Binkley, James & Hertel, Thomas, 2000. "Procompetitive Effects of Foreign Competition on Domestic Markups," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(1), pages 134-48, February.
- Rod Tyers, 2005. "Trade Reform and Manufacturing Pricing Behavior in Four Archetype Asia-Pacific Economies ," Asian Economic Journal, East Asian Economic Association, vol. 19(2), pages 181-203, 06.
- Hertel, Thomas W., 1994. "The 'procompetitive' effects of trade policy reform in a small, open economy," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(3-4), pages 391-411, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:acb:cbeeco:2008-490. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.