Consistent Regulation of Infrastructure Businesses: Some Economic Issues
This article examines some important economic issues associated with the notion that consistency in the regulation of infrastructure businesses is a desirable feature. It makes two important points. First, it is not easy to measure consistency. In particular, one cannot simply point to different regulatory parameters as evidence of inconsistent regulatory policy. Second, even if one does observe consistency emerging from decisions made by different regulators, it does not necessarily mean that this consistency is desirable. It might be the result, at least partially, of career concerns of regulators. Copyright (c) 2009 The Economic Society of Australia.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 28 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (03)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Central Council Administration, L.P.O. Box 2161, Hawthorn VIC 3122|
Phone: 61 3 9497 4140
Fax: 61 3 9497 4140
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0812-0439
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=0812-0439|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Flavio M. Menezes & Christian Roessler, 2010.
"Good and Bad Consistency in Regulatory Decisions,"
The Economic Record,
The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 86(275), pages 504-516, December.
- Flavio Menezes & Christian Roessler, 2008. "Good and Bad Consistency in Regulatory Decisions," Discussion Papers Series 376, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Robert Breunig & Jeremy Hornby & Scott Stacey & Flavio Menezes, 2006. "Price Regulation in Australia: How Consistent Has It Been?," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 82(256), pages 67-76, 03.
- Noll, Roger G., 1989. "Economic perspectives on the politics of regulation," Handbook of Industrial Organization,in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 22, pages 1253-1287 Elsevier.
- Bolt, Chris, 2004. "The role of the Office of Fair Trading and the Competition Commission in establishing common regulatory practices," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 83-86, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)