The Exponential Model for the Spectrum of a Time Series: Extensions and Applications
The exponential model for the spectrum of a time series and its fractional extensions are based on the Fourier series expansion of the logarithm of the spectral density. The coefficients of the expansion form the cepstrum of the time series. After deriving the cepstrum of important classes of time series processes, also featuring long memory, we discuss likelihood inferences based on the periodogram, for which the estimation of the cepstrum yields a generalized linear model for exponential data with logarithmic link, focusing on the issue of separating the contribution of the long memory component to the log-spectrum. We then propose two extensions. The first deals with replacing the logarithmic link with a more general Box-Cox link, which encompasses also the identity and the inverse links: this enables nesting alternative spectral estimation methods (autoregressive, exponential, etc.) under the same likelihood-based framework. Secondly, we propose a gradient boosting algorithm for the estimation of the log-spectrum and illustrate its potential for distilling the long memory component of the log-spectrum.
|Date of creation:||16 Oct 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.econ.au.dk/afn/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barndorff-Nielsen, O. & Schou, G., 1973. "On the parametrization of autoregressive models by partial autocorrelations," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 408-419, December.
- Masaki Narukawa & Yasumasa Matsuda, 2011. "Broadband semi‐parametric estimation of long‐memory time series by fractional exponential models," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(2), pages 175-193, 03.
- Luati, Alessandra & Proietti, Tommaso, 2009.
"Hyper-spherical and Elliptical Stochastic Cycles,"
15169, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Proietti, Tommaso & Luati, Alessandra, 2015.
"The generalised autocovariance function,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 186(1), pages 245-257.
- Tommaso, Proietti & Alessandra, Luati, 2012. "The Generalised Autocovariance Function," MPRA Paper 43711, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tommaso Proietti & Alessandra Luati, 2013. "The Generalised Autocovariance Function," CEIS Research Paper 276, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 30 Apr 2013.
- Hurvich, Clifford M., 2002. "Multistep forecasting of long memory series using fractional exponential models," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 167-179.
- Alessandra Luati & Tommaso Proietti & Marco Reale, 2012.
"The Variance Profile,"
Journal of the American Statistical Association,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 107(498), pages 607-621, June.
- Rosen, Ori & Stoffer, David S. & Wood, Sally, 2009. "Local Spectral Analysis via a Bayesian Mixture of Smoothing Splines," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 104(485), pages 249-262.
- Koenker, Roger & Yoon, Jungmo, 2009. "Parametric links for binary choice models: A Fisherian-Bayesian colloquy," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 152(2), pages 120-130, October.
- Donald W.K. Andrews & Patrik Guggenberger, 2000.
"A Bias-Reduced Log-Periodogram Regression Estimator for the Long-Memory Parameter,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1263, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Donald W. K. Andrews & Patrik Guggenberger, 2003. "A Bias--Reduced Log--Periodogram Regression Estimator for the Long--Memory Parameter," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(2), pages 675-712, March.
- Ori Rosen & Sally Wood & David S. Stoffer, 2012. "AdaptSPEC: Adaptive Spectral Estimation for Nonstationary Time Series," Journal of the American Statistical Association, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 107(500), pages 1575-1589, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aah:create:2013-34. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.