Oracle Efficient Estimation and Forecasting with the Adaptive LASSO and the Adaptive Group LASSO in Vector Autoregressions
We show that the adaptive Lasso (aLasso) and the adaptive group Lasso (agLasso) are oracle efficient in stationary vector autoregressions where the number of parameters per equation is smaller than the number of observations. In particular, this means that the parameters are estimated consistently at root T rate, that the truly zero parameters are classiffied as such asymptotically and that the non-zero parameters are estimated as efficiently as if only the relevant variables had been included in the model from the outset. The group adaptive Lasso differs from the adaptive Lasso by dividing the covariates into groups whose members are all relevant or all irrelevant. Both estimators have the property that they perform variable selection and estimation in one step. We evaluate the forecasting accuracy of these estimators for a large set of macroeconomic variables. The Lasso is found to be the most precise procedure overall. The adaptive and the adaptive group Lasso are less stable but mostly perform at par with the common factor models.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Leeb, Hannes & Potscher, Benedikt M., 2008.
"Sparse estimators and the oracle property, or the return of Hodges' estimator,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 142(1), pages 201-211, January.
- Hannes Leeb & Benedikt M. Poetscher, 2005. "Sparse Estimators and the Oracle Property, or the Return of Hodges' Estimator," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1500, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Apr 2007.
- Leeb, Hannes & P tscher, Benedikt M., 2005. "Model Selection And Inference: Facts And Fiction," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 21(01), pages 21-59, February.
- Wang, Hansheng & Leng, Chenlei, 2008. "A note on adaptive group lasso," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(12), pages 5277-5286, August.
- Kock, Anders Bredahl & Callot, Laurent, 2015.
"Oracle inequalities for high dimensional vector autoregressions,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 186(2), pages 325-344.
- Anders Bredahl Kock & Laurent A.F. Callot, 2012. "Oracle Inequalities for High Dimensional Vector Autoregressions," CREATES Research Papers 2012-16, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Hansheng Wang & Guodong Li & Chih-Ling Tsai, 2007. "Regression coefficient and autoregressive order shrinkage and selection via the lasso," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 69(1), pages 63-78.
- Anders Bredahl Kock & Timo Teräsvirta, 2011. "Forecasting Macroeconomic Variables using Neural Network Models and Three Automated Model Selection Techniques," CREATES Research Papers 2011-27, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aah:create:2012-38. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.