Efficient Inference in Multivariate Fractionally Integrated Time Series Models
We consider statistical inference for multivariate fractionally integrated time series models using a computationally simple conditional likelihood procedure which has recently been shown to be efficient in the univariate case. We show that those results generalize to the present multivariate setup, e.g. allowing us to efficiently estimate the memory parameters of vector ARFIMA models or test if two or more series are integrated of the same possibly fractional order. In particular, we show that all the desirable properties from standard statistical analysis apply for the time domain maximum likelihood estimator and related test statistics, i.e. consistency, standard asymptotic distributional properties, and under Gaussianity asymptotic efficiency. The finite sample properties of the likelihood ratio test are evaluated by Monte Carlo experiments, which show that rejection frequencies are very close to the asymptotic local power for samples as small as n=100.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- P. C. B. Phillips & S. N. Durlauf, 1986.
"Multiple Time Series Regression with Integrated Processes,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 53(4), pages 473-495.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Steven N. Durlauf, 1985. "Multiple Time Series Regression with Integrated Processes," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 768, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Robinson, P. M., 1991. "Testing for strong serial correlation and dynamic conditional heteroskedasticity in multiple regression," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 67-84, January.
- Nielsen M.O., 2004.
"Optimal Residual-Based Tests for Fractional Cointegration and Exchange Rate Dynamics,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 22, pages 331-345, July.
- Morten Oerregaard Nielsen, "undated". "Optimal Residual Based Tests for Fractional Cointegration and Exchange Rate Dynamics," Economics Working Papers 2002-7, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Hosoya, Yuzo, 1996. "The quasi-likelihood approach to statistical inference on multiple time-series with long-range dependence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 217-236, July.
- Jeganathan, P., 1999. "On Asymptotic Inference In Cointegrated Time Series With Fractionally Integrated Errors," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(04), pages 583-621, August.
- Breitung, Jorg & Hassler, Uwe, 2002. "Inference on the cointegration rank in fractionally integrated processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 110(2), pages 167-185, October.
- Breitung, Jörg & Hassler, Uwe, 2000. "Inference on the cointegration rank in fractionally integrated processes," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 2000,65, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Joerg Breitung and Uwe Hassler, 2001. "Inference on the Cointegration Rank in Fractionally Integrated Processes," Computing in Economics and Finance 2001 233, Society for Computational Economics.
- Choi, In & Chul Ahn, Byung, 1998. "Testing the null of stationarity for multiple time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 41-77, November.
- Ling, Shiqing & Li, W.K., 2001. "Asymptotic Inference For Nonstationary Fractionally Integrated Autoregressive Moving-Average Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(04), pages 738-764, August.
- Sargan, J D & Bhargava, Alok, 1983. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Regression Models with First Order Moving Average Errors When the Root Lies on the Unit Circle," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(3), pages 799-820, May.
- Tanaka, Katsuto, 1999. "The Nonstationary Fractional Unit Root," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(04), pages 549-582, August.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)