Inference on the cointegration rank in fractionally integrated processes
For univariate time series we suggest a new variant of efficient score tests against fractional alternatives. This test has three important merits. First, by means of simulations we observe that it is superior in terms of size and power in some situations of practical interest. Second, it is easily understood and implemented as a slight modification of the Dickey-Fuller test, although our score test has a limiting normal distribution. Third and most important, our test generalizes to multivariate cointegration tests just as the Dickey-Fuller test does. Thus it allows to determine the cointegration rank of fractionally integrated time series. It does so by solving a generalized eigenvalue problem of the type proposed by Johansen (1988). However, the limiting distribution of the corresponding trace statistic is X2 , where the degrees of freedom depend only on the cointegration rank under the null hypothesis. The usefulness of the asymptotic theory for finite samples is established in a Monte Carlo experiment.
|Date of creation:||2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Spandauer Str. 1,10178 Berlin|
Web page: http://www.wiwi.hu-berlin.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robinson, P. M., 1991. "Testing for strong serial correlation and dynamic conditional heteroskedasticity in multiple regression," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 67-84, January.
- Andersson, Michael K. & Gredenhoff, Mikael P., 1999. "On the maximum likelihood cointegration procedure under a fractional equilibrium error," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 143-147, November.
- Marinucci, D. & Robinson, P. M., 2001. "Semiparametric fractional cointegration analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 105(1), pages 225-247, November.
- Gonzalo, Jesus & Lee, Tae-Hwy, 1998.
"Pitfalls in testing for long run relationships,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 129-154, June.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Baillie, R.T. & Bollerslev, T., 1993.
"Cointegration, Fractional Cointegration, and Exchange RAte Dynamics,"
9103, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- Baillie, Richard T & Bollerslev, Tim, 1994. " Cointegration, Fractional Cointegration, and Exchange Rate Dynamics," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(2), pages 737-45, June.
- Baillie, Richard T., 1996. "Long memory processes and fractional integration in econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 5-59, July.
- Jeganathan, P., 1999. "On Asymptotic Inference In Cointegrated Time Series With Fractionally Integrated Errors," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(04), pages 583-621, August.
- Granger, C. W. J., 1981. "Some properties of time series data and their use in econometric model specification," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 121-130, May.
- Hassler, Uwe & Marmol, Francesc & Velasco, Carlos, 2002.
"Residual Log-Periodogram Inference for Long-Run Relationships,"
Darmstadt Discussion Papers in Economics
115, Darmstadt University of Technology, Department of Law and Economics.
- Hassler, U. & Marmol, F. & Velasco, C., 2006. "Residual log-periodogram inference for long-run relationships," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 130(1), pages 165-207, January.
- Tsay, Wen-Jen, 2000. "Estimating Trending Variables In The Presence Of Fractionally Integrated Errors," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(03), pages 324-346, June.
- Tanaka, Katsuto, 1999. "The Nonstationary Fractional Unit Root," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(04), pages 549-582, August.
- Cheung, Yin-Wong & Lai, Kon S, 1993. "A Fractional Cointegration Analysis of Purchasing Power Parity," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 11(1), pages 103-12, January.
- D Marinucci & Peter M. Robinson, 2001. "Semiparametric fractional cointegration analysis," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 2269, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Davidson, James, 2002. "A model of fractional cointegration, and tests for cointegration using the bootstrap," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 110(2), pages 187-212, October.
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-54, July.
- Engle, Robert & Granger, Clive, 2015.
"Co-integration and error correction: Representation, estimation, and testing,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 39(3), pages 106-135.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- D Marinucci & Peter M Robinson, 2001. "Semiparametric Fractional Cointegration Analysis," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series 420, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Abul M.M. Masih & Rumi Masih, 1998. "A Fractional Cointegration Approach to Testing Mean Reversion Between Spot and Forward Exchange Rates: A Case of High Frequency Data with Low Frequency Dynamics," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(7&8), pages 987-1003.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:sfb373:200065. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.