Efficient inference in multivariate fractionally integrated time series models
We consider statistical inference for multivariate fractionally integrated time series models using a computationally simple conditional likelihood procedure which has recently been shown to be efficient in the univariate case. We show that those results generalize to the present multivariate setup, e.g. allowing us to efficiently estimate the memory parameters of vector ARFIMA models or test if two or more series are integrated of the same possibly fractional order. In particular, we show that all the desirable properties from standard statistical analysis apply for the time domain maximum likelihood estimator and related test statistics, i.e. consistency, standard asymptotic distributional properties, and under Gaussianity asymptotic efficiency. The finite sample properties of the likelihood ratio test are evaluated by Monte Carlo experiments, which show that rejection frequencies are very close to the asymptotic local power for samples as small as n=100.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 7 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 (06)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44 1334 462479
Web page: http://www.res.org.uk/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.ectj.org|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sargan, J D & Bhargava, Alok, 1983. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Regression Models with First Order Moving Average Errors When the Root Lies on the Unit Circle," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(3), pages 799-820, May.
- Joerg Breitung and Uwe Hassler, 2001.
"Inference on the Cointegration Rank in Fractionally Integrated Processes,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2001
233, Society for Computational Economics.
- Breitung, Jorg & Hassler, Uwe, 2002. "Inference on the cointegration rank in fractionally integrated processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 110(2), pages 167-185, October.
- Breitung, Jörg & Hassler, Uwe, 2000. "Inference on the cointegration rank in fractionally integrated processes," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 2000,65, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Robinson, P. M., 1991. "Testing for strong serial correlation and dynamic conditional heteroskedasticity in multiple regression," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 67-84, January.
- Choi, In & Chul Ahn, Byung, 1998. "Testing the null of stationarity for multiple time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 41-77, November.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Steven N. Durlauf, 1985.
"Multiple Time Series Regression with Integrated Processes,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
768, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Phillips, P C B & Durlauf, S N, 1986. "Multiple Time Series Regression with Integrated Processes," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(4), pages 473-95, August.
- Hosoya, Yuzo, 1996. "The quasi-likelihood approach to statistical inference on multiple time-series with long-range dependence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 217-236, July.
- Jeganathan, P., 1999. "On Asymptotic Inference In Cointegrated Time Series With Fractionally Integrated Errors," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(04), pages 583-621, August.
- Morten Oerregaard Nielsen, .
"Optimal Residual Based Tests for Fractional Cointegration and Exchange Rate Dynamics,"
Economics Working Papers
2002-7, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Nielsen M.O., 2004. "Optimal Residual-Based Tests for Fractional Cointegration and Exchange Rate Dynamics," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 22, pages 331-345, July.
- Tanaka, Katsuto, 1999. "The Nonstationary Fractional Unit Root," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(04), pages 549-582, August.
- Ling, Shiqing & Li, W.K., 2001. "Asymptotic Inference For Nonstationary Fractionally Integrated Autoregressive Moving-Average Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(04), pages 738-764, August.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ect:emjrnl:v:7:y:2004:i:1:p:63-97. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.