Nutritional Failure in Ecuador : Causes, Consequences, and Solutions
This study supports the development of a more coherent and effective nutrition strategy in Ecuador through an analysis of the main nutrition issues, based on in-depth statistical analysis of a large new household survey dataset (ENDEMAIN 2004) and other data sources, together with a review of qualitative evidence regarding behavioral and program-access obstacles to improved nutritional outcomes. It also reviews the existing programs and policies which aim to improve nutritional outcomes, considered the available evidence on the efficiency, effectiveness, targeting and inter-programmatic coherence of the programs and projects reviewed and suggests an agenda for policy discussions to improve these outcomes.
|This book is provided by The World Bank in its series World Bank Publications with number 6651 and published in 2007.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1818 H Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20433|
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: https://openknowledge.worldbank.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hentschel, Jesko & Waters, William F. & Vandever Webb, Anna Kathryn, 1996. "Rural poverty in Ecuador : a qualitative assessment," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1576, The World Bank.
- Gary S. Becker, 1981. "A Treatise on the Family," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number beck81-1, April.
- Carlos Larrea & Pedro Montalvo & Ana María Ricaurte, 2005.
"Child Malnutrition, Social Development and Health Services in the Andean Region,"
Research Department Publications
3189, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Larrea Carlos & Montalvo Pedro & Ricaurte Ana, 2005. "Child Malnutrition, Social Development and Health Services in the Andean Region," HEW 0509011, EconWPA.
- Carmel Dolan & F. James Levinson, 2000. "Will We Ever Get Back? The Derailing of Tanzanian Nutrition in the 1990s," Working Papers in Food Policy and Nutrition 17, Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy.
- Christiaensen, Luc & Alderman, Harold, 2004. "Child Malnutrition in Ethiopia: Can Maternal Knowledge Augment the Role of Income?," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 52(2), pages 287-312, January.
- Garrett, James L. & Ruel, Marie T., 2003. "Stunted child - overweight mother pairs," FCND briefs 148, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Garrett, James L. & Ruel, Marie T., 2003. "Stunted child - overweight mother pairs," FCND discussion papers 148, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Lavy, Victor & Strauss, John & Thomas, Duncan & de Vreyer, Philippe, 1996. "Quality of health care, survival and health outcomes in Ghana," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 333-357, June.
- Lavy, V & Strauss, J & Thomas, D & de Vreyer, P, 1996. "Quality of Health Care, Survivial and Health Outcomes in Ghana," Papers 96-20, RAND - Reprint Series.
- Patricio Marquez & Willy de Geyndt, 2003. "Mexico : Reaching the Poor with Basic Health Services," World Bank Other Operational Studies 10391, The World Bank.
- Haddad, Lawrence James & Alderman, Harold & Appleton, Simon & Song, Lina & Yohannes, Yisehac, 2002. "Reducing child undernutrition," FCND briefs 137, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Haddad, Lawrence James & Alderman, Harold & Appleton, Simon & Song, Lina & Yohannes, Yisehac, 2002. "Reducing child undernutrition," FCND discussion papers 137, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Horton, Susan, 1986. "Child nutrition and family size in the Philippines," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 161-176, September.
- Rolando Morales & Ana María Aguilar & Alvaro Calzadilla, 2005. "Undernutrition in Bolivia: Geography and Culture Matter," Research Department Publications 3185, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Christina Paxson & Norbert Schady, 2007. "Cognitive Development among Young Children in Ecuador: The Roles of Wealth, Health, and Parenting," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 42(1).
- Christina Paxson & Norbert Schady, 2005. "Cognitive Development Among Young Children in Ecuador: The Roles of Wealth, Health and Parenting," Working Papers 239, Princeton University, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Center for Health and Wellbeing..
- Paxson, Christina & Schady, Norbert, 2005. "Cognitive development among young children in Ecuador : the roles of wealth, health and parenting," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3605, The World Bank.
- Moock, Peter R. & Leslie, Joanne, 1986. "Childhood malnutrition and schooling in the Terai region of Nepal," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 33-52.
- Alderman, Harold & Hoogeveen, Hans & Rossi, Mariacristina, 2006. "Reducing child malnutrition in Tanzania: Combined effects of income growth and program interventions," Economics & Human Biology, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 1-23, January.
- Alderman, Harold & Hoogeveen, Hans & Rossi, Mariacristina, 2005. "Reducing child malnutrition in Tanzania - combined effects of income growth and program interventions," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3567, The World Bank.
- Burgard, Sarah, 2004. "Race and pregnancy-related care in Brazil and South Africa," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 59(6), pages 1127-1146, September.
- Strauss, John & Thomas, Duncan, 1995. "Human resources: Empirical modeling of household and family decisions," Handbook of Development Economics, in: Hollis Chenery & T.N. Srinivasan (ed.), Handbook of Development Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 34, pages 1883-2023 Elsevier.
- Marini, Alessandra & Gragnolati, Michele, 2006. "Nonlinear effects of altitude on child growth in Peru : a multilevel analysis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3823, The World Bank. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbpubs:6651. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Breineder)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.