Review of Part X of the Trade Practices Act 1974: International Liner Cargo Shipping
The Productivity Commission’s inquiry report, 'Review of Part X of the Trade Practices Act 1974: International Liner Cargo Shipping', was released on 5 October 2005. The Commission was asked to examine and report on the rational, effects and alternatives to Part X, which allow international liner operators to cooperate and form conferences under the conditional exemptions from the Act. The Commission maintains that evaluation and selective registration of agreements is necessary if Australia is to be confident that only those that provided a net public benefit are allowed to operate. It maintained its preferred option for authorisation under Part X. Under this option, Part X would be repealed and the liner cargo shipping industry would be subject to the general provision of the Act. The Commission proposed four-year transitional arrangement. If Part X is not repealed, the Commission recommended improving current arrangements through either selective registration or excluding from registration ‘discussion agreements’.
|This book is provided by Productivity Commission, Government of Australia in its series Inquiry Reports with number 32 and published in 2005.|
|ISBN:||1 74037 167 4|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Level 28, 35 Collins St, Melbourne Victoria 3000|
Phone: 61 3 9653 2100
Fax: 61 3 9653 2199
Web page: http://www.pc.gov.au/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- McWilliams, Abagail & Keith, Kristen, 1994. "The genesis of the trusts : Rationalization in empty core markets," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 245-267, June.
- Telser,Lester G., 1987. "A Theory of Efficient Cooperation and Competition," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521306195, December.
- Carsten Fink & Aaditya Mattoo & Ileana Cristina Neagu, 2002.
"Trade in International Maritime Services: How Much Does Policy Matter?,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 16(1), pages 81-108, June.
- Fink, Carsten & Mattoo, Aaditya & Neagu, Ileana Cristina, 2001. "Trade in international maritime services : how much does policy matter?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2522, The World Bank.
- Alejandro Micco & Natalia Perez, 2002.
"Determinants of Maritime Transport Costs,"
Research Department Publications
4247, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Lee Darin, 2003. "An Assessment of Some Recent Criticisms of the U.S. Airline Industry," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 2(1), pages 1-9, March.
- B. Douglas Bernheim, 1984. "Strategic Deterrence of Sequential Entry into an Industry," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 15(1), pages 1-11, Spring.
- Notteboom Theo E., 2004. "Container Shipping And Ports: An Overview," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 3(2), pages 1-21, June.
- Mike Fusillo, 2003. "Excess Capacity and Entry Deterrence: The Case of Ocean Liner Shipping Markets," Maritime Economics & Logistics, Palgrave Macmillan;International Association of Maritime Economists (IAME), vol. 5(2), pages 100-115, June.
- James D. Dana & Jr., 1998. "Advance-Purchase Discounts and Price Discrimination in Competitive Markets," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 106(2), pages 395-422, April.
- Hercules E Haralambides & Pierre Cariou & Marco Benacchio, 2002. "Costs, Benefits and Pricing of Dedicated Container Terminals," Maritime Economics & Logistics, Palgrave Macmillan;International Association of Maritime Economists (IAME), vol. 4(1), pages 21-34, March.
- Xavier Vives, 2001. "Oligopoly Pricing: Old Ideas and New Tools," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 026272040x, December.
- A. Michael Spence, 1977. "Entry, Capacity, Investment and Oligopolistic Pricing," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 8(2), pages 534-544, Autumn.
- Brueckner, Jan K., 2001. "The economics of international codesharing: an analysis of airline alliances," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(10), pages 1475-1498, December.
- R. H. Coase, 2013. "The Problem of Social Cost," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 56(4), pages 837-877.
- Brian Slack & Claude Comtois & Robert McCalla, 2002. "Strategic alliances in the container shipping industry: a global perspective," Maritime Policy & Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(1), pages 65-76, January.
- Sjostrom, William, 1989. "Collusion in Ocean Shipping: A Test of Monopoly and Empty Core Model s," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(5), pages 1160-1179, October.
- Mukesh Eswaran, 1997. "Cartel Unity over the Business Cycle," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 30(3), pages 644-672, August.
- Andriamananjara, Soamiely & Arce, Hugh M. & Ferrantino, Michael J., 2004. "Transshipment in the United States," Working Papers 15871, United States International Trade Commission, Office of Economics.
- Jim Engle-Warnick & Bradley Ruffle, 2002. "Buyer Countervailing Power versus Monopoly Power: Evidence from Experimental Posted-Offer Markets," Economics Papers 2002-W14, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Jansson, Jan Owen & Shneerson, Dan, 1978. "Economies of Scale of General Cargo Ships," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 60(2), pages 287-293, May.
- D. K. Ryoo & H. A. Thanopoulou, 1999. "Liner alliances in the globalization era: a strategic tool for Asian container carriers," Maritime Policy & Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 26(4), pages 349-367, October.
- Bittlingmayer, George, 1985. "Did Antitrust Policy Cause the Great Merger Wave?," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 28(1), pages 77-118, April.
- R. G. McLellan, 1997. "Bigger vessels: How big is too big?," Maritime Policy & Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 24(2), pages 193-211, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:prodir:32. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (MAPS)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.