Review of Part X of the Trade Practices Act 1974: International Liner Cargo Shipping
The Productivity Commission’s inquiry report, 'Review of Part X of the Trade Practices Act 1974: International Liner Cargo Shipping', was released on 5 October 2005. The Commission was asked to examine and report on the rational, effects and alternatives to Part X, which allow international liner operators to cooperate and form conferences under the conditional exemptions from the Act. The Commission maintains that evaluation and selective registration of agreements is necessary if Australia is to be confident that only those that provided a net public benefit are allowed to operate. It maintained its preferred option for authorisation under Part X. Under this option, Part X would be repealed and the liner cargo shipping industry would be subject to the general provision of the Act. The Commission proposed four-year transitional arrangement. If Part X is not repealed, the Commission recommended improving current arrangements through either selective registration or excluding from registration ‘discussion agreements’.
|This book is provided by Productivity Commission, Government of Australia in its series Inquiry Reports with number 32 and published in 2005.|
|ISBN:||1 74037 167 4|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Level 28, 35 Collins St, Melbourne Victoria 3000|
Phone: 61 3 9653 2100
Fax: 61 3 9653 2199
Web page: http://www.pc.gov.au/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jim Engle-Warnick & Bradley Ruffle, 2002. "Buyer Countervailing Power versus Monopoly Power: Evidence from Experimental Posted-Offer Markets," Economics Papers 2002-W14, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Carsten Fink & Aaditya Mattoo & Ileana Cristina Neagu, 2002.
"Trade in International Maritime Services: How Much Does Policy Matter?,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 16(1), pages 81-108, June.
- Fink, Carsten & Mattoo, Aaditya & Neagu, Ileana Cristina, 2001. "Trade in international maritime services : how much does policy matter?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2522, The World Bank.
- A. Michael Spence, 1977. "Entry, Capacity, Investment and Oligopolistic Pricing," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 8(2), pages 534-544, Autumn.
- Alejandro Micco & Natalia Pérez, 2002. "Determinants of Maritime Transport Costs," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 44378, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Alejandro Micco & Natalia Perez, 2002. "Determinants of Maritime Transport Costs," Research Department Publications 4247, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Hercules E Haralambides & Pierre Cariou & Marco Benacchio, 2002. "Costs, Benefits and Pricing of Dedicated Container Terminals," Maritime Economics & Logistics, Palgrave Macmillan;International Association of Maritime Economists (IAME), vol. 4(1), pages 21-34, March.
- Mike Fusillo, 2003. "Excess Capacity and Entry Deterrence: The Case of Ocean Liner Shipping Markets," Maritime Economics & Logistics, Palgrave Macmillan;International Association of Maritime Economists (IAME), vol. 5(2), pages 100-115, June.
- Telser,Lester G., 1987. "A Theory of Efficient Cooperation and Competition," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521306195, Diciembre.
- Jansson, Jan Owen & Shneerson, Dan, 1978. "Economies of Scale of General Cargo Ships," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 60(2), pages 287-293, May.
- Sjostrom, William, 1989. "Collusion in Ocean Shipping: A Test of Monopoly and Empty Core Model s," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(5), pages 1160-1179, October.
- Bittlingmayer, George, 1985. "Did Antitrust Policy Cause the Great Merger Wave?," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 28(1), pages 77-118, April.
- Xavier Vives, 2001. "Oligopoly Pricing: Old Ideas and New Tools," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 026272040x, July.
- Brian Slack & Claude Comtois & Robert McCalla, 2002. "Strategic alliances in the container shipping industry: a global perspective," Maritime Policy & Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(1), pages 65-76, January.
- Mukesh Eswaran, 1997. "Cartel Unity over the Business Cycle," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 30(3), pages 644-672, August.
- James D. Dana & Jr., 1998. "Advance-Purchase Discounts and Price Discrimination in Competitive Markets," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 106(2), pages 395-422, April.
- Lee Darin, 2003. "An Assessment of Some Recent Criticisms of the U.S. Airline Industry," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 2(1), pages 1-9, March.
- D. K. Ryoo & H. A. Thanopoulou, 1999. "Liner alliances in the globalization era: a strategic tool for Asian container carriers," Maritime Policy & Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 26(4), pages 349-367, October.
- B. Douglas Bernheim, 1984. "Strategic Deterrence of Sequential Entry into an Industry," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 15(1), pages 1-11, Spring.
- Brueckner, Jan K., 2001. "The economics of international codesharing: an analysis of airline alliances," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(10), pages 1475-1498, December.
- Andriamananjara, Soamiely & Arce, Hugh M. & Ferrantino, Michael J., 2004. "Transshipment in the United States," Working Papers 15871, United States International Trade Commission, Office of Economics.
- McWilliams, Abagail & Keith, Kristen, 1994. "The genesis of the trusts : Rationalization in empty core markets," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 245-267, June.
- R. H. Coase, 2013. "The Problem of Social Cost," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 56(4), pages 837-877.
- Notteboom Theo E., 2004. "Container Shipping And Ports: An Overview," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 3(2), pages 1-21, June.
- R. G. McLellan, 1997. "Bigger vessels: How big is too big?," Maritime Policy & Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 24(2), pages 193-211, January. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:prodir:32. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (MAPS)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.