The role of ratings in structured finance: issues and implications
Introduction In May 2003, the Committee on the Global Financial System (CGFS) decided to establish a Working Group on Ratings in Structured Finance to explore the role of rating agencies in the rapidly evolving markets for structured finance instruments. To facilitate a better understanding of this role and of structured finance markets more broadly, the Working Group was mandated to identify and explain methodological differences that exist between the rating of structured finance instruments and more traditional credit products, and to explore the various methodological and organisational challenges involved in rating structured finance products. This report documents the Working Group's findings, complementing earlier work by the CGFS and other official forums, such as CGFS (2003) and Joint Forum (2004b). It highlights several of the characteristics of structured products, challenges arising for the rating agencies and other market participants, and implications for central banks and investors. The report is based on the Group's discussions, written contributions by Group members on a number of technical topics, and series of interviews with rating agency officials and other participants in the structured finance markets.
|This book is provided by Bank for International Settlements in its series CGFS Papers with number 23 and published in 2005.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centralbahnplatz 2, CH - 4002 Basel|
Phone: (41) 61 - 280 80 80
Fax: (41) 61 - 280 91 00
Web page: http://www.bis.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Raynes, Sylvain & Rutledge, Ann, 2003. "The Analysis of Structured Securities: Precise Risk Measurement and Capital Allocation," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195152739, December.
- John Y. Campbell & Glen B. Taksler, 2002.
"Equity Volatility and Corporate Bond Yields,"
NBER Working Papers
8961, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Campbell, John & Taksler, Glen, 2003. "Equity Volatility and Corporate Bond Yields," Scholarly Articles 3153307, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- John Y. Campbell & Glen B. Taksler, 2002. "Equity Volatility and Corporate Bond Yields," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1945, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- S. Baranzoni & P. Bianchi & L. Lambertini, 2000. "Multiproduct Firms, Product Differentiation, and Market Structure," Working Papers 368, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Edward I. Altman & Brooks Brady & Andrea Resti & Andrea Sironi, 2005. "The Link between Default and Recovery Rates: Theory, Empirical Evidence, and Implications," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(6), pages 2203-2228, November.
- repec:reg:rpubli:345 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bis:biscgf:23. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Beslmeisl)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.