Stock returns and implied volatility: A new VAR approach
The authors re-examine the return-volatility relationship and its dynamics under a new vector autoregression (VAR) identification framework. By analyzing two model-free impliedvolatility indices - the well-established VIX (in the United States) and the recently published VKOSPI (in Korea) - and their stock market indices, the authors find an asymmetric volatility phenomenon in both the developed and emerging markets. However, the VKOSPI shows impulse response dynamics that are quite different from those of the VIX. This finding can be attributed to the unique characteristics of the KOSPI200 options market, which determine the dynamics of the VKOSPI.
Volume (Year): 7 (2013)
Issue (Month): ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kiellinie 66, D-24105 Kiel|
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 8814528
Web page: http://www.economics-ejournal.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hibbert, Ann Marie & Daigler, Robert T. & Dupoyet, Brice, 2008. "A behavioral explanation for the negative asymmetric return-volatility relation," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(10), pages 2254-2266, October.
- French, Kenneth R. & Schwert, G. William & Stambaugh, Robert F., 1987. "Expected stock returns and volatility," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 3-29, September.
- Becker, Ralf & Clements, Adam E. & McClelland, Andrew, 2009.
"The jump component of S&P 500 volatility and the VIX index,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 1033-1038, June.
- Ralf Becker & Adam Clements & Andrew McClelland, 2008. "The Jump component of S&P 500 volatility and the VIX index," NCER Working Paper Series 24, National Centre for Econometric Research.
- Duan, Jin-Chuan & Yeh, Chung-Ying, 2010. "Jump and volatility risk premiums implied by VIX," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 34(11), pages 2232-2244, November.
- Banerjee, Prithviraj S. & Doran, James S. & Peterson, David R., 2007. "Implied volatility and future portfolio returns," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(10), pages 3183-3199, October.
- Duffee, Gregory R., 1995. "Stock returns and volatility A firm-level analysis," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 399-420, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:ifweej:20133. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.