Intraday price dynamics in spot and derivatives markets
This study examines intraday relationships among the spot index, index futures, and the implied volatility index based on the VAR(1)-asymmetric BEKK-MGARCH model. Analysis of a high-frequency dataset from the Korean financial market confirms that there is a strong intraday market linkage between the spot index, KOSPI200 futures, and VKOSPI and that asymmetric volatility behaviour is clearly present in the Korean market. The empirical results indicate that the futures return shock affects the spot market more severely than the spot return shock affects the futures market, though there is a bi-directional causal relationship between the spot and futures markets. Our results, based on a high-quality intraday dataset, satisfy both the positive risk–return relationship and asymmetric volatility effect, which are not reconciled in the frameworks of previous studies.
Volume (Year): 394 (2014)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/physica-a-statistical-mechpplications/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Libo Yin & Liyan Han, 2013. "Exogenous Shocks and Information Transmission in Global Copper Futures Markets," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 33(8), pages 724-751, 08.
- Jangkoo Kang & Doojin Ryu, 2010. "Which Trades Move Asset Prices? An Analysis of Futures Trading Data," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 46(0), pages 7-22, May.
- Nijman, T.E. & de Jong, F.C.J.M., 1997. "High frequency analysis of lead-lag relationships between financial markets," Other publications TiSEM f4f406a0-771a-4af2-9364-6, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Manolis G. Kavussanos & Ilias D. Visvikis & Panayotis D. Alexakis, 2008. "The Lead-Lag Relationship Between Cash and Stock Index Futures in a New Market," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 14(5), pages 1007-1025.
- Doojin Ryu, 2012. "The effectiveness of the order-splitting strategy: an analysis of unique data," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(6), pages 541-549, April.
- Chan, Kalok, 1992. "A Further Analysis of the Lead-Lag Relationship between the Cash Market and Stock Index Futures Market," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 5(1), pages 123-52.
- Stoll, Hans R. & Whaley, Robert E., 1990. "The Dynamics of Stock Index and Stock Index Futures Returns," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 25(04), pages 441-468, December.
- Talla Al-Deehani & Imad A. Moosa, 2006. "Volatility Spillover in Regional Emerging Stock Markets: A Structural Time-Series Approach," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 42(4), pages 78-89, July.
- Doojin Ryu, 2012. "Implied Volatility Index of KOSPI200: Information Contents and Properties," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 48(0), pages 24-39, July.
- Ekin Tokat & HakkÃ„Â± Arda Tokat, 2010. "Shock and Volatility Transmission in the Futures and Spot Markets: Evidence from Turkish Markets," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 46(4), pages 92-104, January.
- Jian Yang & Zihui Yang & Yinggang Zhou, 2012. "Intraday price discovery and volatility transmission in stock index and stock index futures markets: Evidence from China," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 32(2), pages 99-121, 02.
- Li, Hong, 2012. "The impact of China's stock market reforms on its international stock market linkages," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 52(4), pages 358-368.
- Plerou, Vasiliki & Gopikrishnan, Parameswaran & Rosenow, Bernd & Amaral, Luis A.N. & Stanley, H.Eugene, 2000. "Econophysics: financial time series from a statistical physics point of view," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 279(1), pages 443-456.
- de Jong, F.C.J.M. & Nijman, T.E., 1995.
"High frequency analysis of lead-lag relationships between financial markets,"
1995-34, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- de Jong, Frank & Nijman, Theo, 1997. "High frequency analysis of lead-lag relationships between financial markets," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 4(2-3), pages 259-277, June.
- Lee, Bong Soo & Ryu, Doojin, 2013. "Stock returns and implied volatility: A new VAR approach," Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW), vol. 7, pages 1-20.
- Krawiecki, A. & Hołyst, J.A., 2003. "Stochastic resonance as a model for financial market crashes and bubbles," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 317(3), pages 597-608.
- Kang, Sang Hoon & Cheong, Chongcheul & Yoon, Seong-Min, 2013. "Intraday volatility spillovers between spot and futures indices: Evidence from the Korean stock market," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 392(8), pages 1795-1802.
- Doojin Ryu, 2013. "Spread and depth adjustment process: an analysis of high-quality microstructure data," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(16), pages 1506-1510, November.
- Ryu, Doojin, 2013. "What types of investors generate the two-phase phenomenon?," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 392(23), pages 5939-5946.
- Biao Guo & Qian Han & Doojin Ryu, 2013. "Is the KOSPI 200 Options Market Efficient? Parametric and Nonparametric Tests of the Martingale Restriction," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 33(7), pages 629-652, 07.
- Onnela, J.-P. & Chakraborti, A. & Kaski, K. & Kertész, J., 2003. "Dynamic asset trees and Black Monday," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 324(1), pages 247-252.
- Ravi Balakrishnan & Stephan Danninger & Selim Elekdag & Irina Tytell, 2011. "The Transmission of Financial Stress from Advanced to Emerging Economies," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 47(0), pages 40-68, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:phsmap:v:394:y:2014:i:c:p:247-253. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.