Phase-shifting behaviour revisited: An alternative measure
This study re-examines the recently documented phase-shifting behaviour of financial markets using an alternative measure, an intraday return-based measure. While most previous studies on phase-shifting behaviour adopt the volume-imbalance measure proposed by Plerou et al. (2003), we find that our return-based measure successfully captures phase-shifting behaviour, and moreover exhibits a unique pattern of phase-shifting that is not detected when the classical volume imbalance measure is used. By analysing a high-frequency dataset of KOSPI200 futures, we also find that large trades reveal phase-shifting behaviour more clearly and significantly than smaller trades.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 401 (2014)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/physica-a-statistical-mechpplications/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Burak Saltoglu & M. Ege Yazgan, 2012.
"The Role of Regime Shifts in the Term Structure of Interest Rates: Further Evidence from an Emerging Market,"
Emerging Markets Finance and Trade,
M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 48(S5), pages 48-63, November.
- Saltoglu, Burak & Yazgan, Ege, 2009. "The role of Regime Shifts in the Term Structure of Interest Rates: Further evidence from an Emerging Market," MPRA Paper 18741, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lee, Eun Jung & Eom, Kyong Shik & Park, Kyung Suh, 2013. "Microstructure-based manipulation: Strategic behavior and performance of spoofing traders," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 227-252.
- Chen, Fei & Diebold, Francis X. & Schorfheide, Frank, 2013.
"A Markov-switching multifractal inter-trade duration model, with application to US equities,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 177(2), pages 320-342.
- Fei Chen & Francis X. Diebold & Frank Schorfheide, 2012. "A Markov-Switching Multi-Fractal Inter-Trade Duration Model, with Application to U.S. Equities," PIER Working Paper Archive 12-020, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Fei Chen & Francis X. Diebold & Frank Schorfheide, 2012. "A Markov-Switching Multi-Fractal Inter-Trade Duration Model, with Application to U.S. Equities," NBER Working Papers 18078, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Doojin Ryu, 2013. "Spread and depth adjustment process: an analysis of high-quality microstructure data," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(16), pages 1506-1510, November.
- Hwang, Keunho & Kang, Jangkoo & Ryu, Doojin, 2010. "Phase-transition behavior in the emerging market: Evidence from the KOSPI200 futures market," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 35-46, January.
- Kim, Jun Sik & Ryu, Doojin, 2014. "Intraday price dynamics in spot and derivatives markets," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 394(C), pages 247-253.
- Lee, Bong Soo & Ryu, Doojin, 2013. "Stock returns and implied volatility: A new VAR approach," Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal, Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 7, pages 1-20.
- Easley, David & O'Hara, Maureen, 1987. "Price, trade size, and information in securities markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 69-90, September.
- Barclay, Michael J. & Warner, Jerold B., 1993. "Stealth trading and volatility : Which trades move prices?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 281-305, December.
- Zoltan Eisler & Janos Kertesz, 2005. "Size matters: some stylized facts of the stock market revisited," Papers physics/0508156, arXiv.org, revised May 2006.
- Doojin Ryu, 2012. "The effectiveness of the order-splitting strategy: an analysis of unique data," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(6), pages 541-549, April.
- A. Nazif Çatik & A. Özlem Önder, 2011. "Inflationary Effects of Oil Prices in Turkey: A Regime-Switching Approach," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 47(5), pages 125-140, September.
- Ahn, Hee-Joon & Cai, Jun & Hamao, Yasushi & Ho, Richard Y. K., 2002. "The components of the bid-ask spread in a limit-order market: evidence from the Tokyo Stock Exchange," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 399-430, November.
- Kim, Min Jae & Lee, Ja Eun & Kim, Soo Yong & Kim, Kyungsik, 2010. "Two-phase phenomenon in linear and non-linear financial instruments," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 389(13), pages 2580-2585.
- repec:wyi:journl:002157 is not listed on IDEAS
- Holthausen, Robert W. & Leftwich, Richard W. & Mayers, David, 1990. "Large-block transactions, the speed of response, and temporary and permanent stock-price effects," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 71-95, July.
- Lim, Gyuchang & Yong Kim, Soo & Kim, Kyungsik & Lee, Dong-In & Park, Sang-Bum, 2007. "Dynamical mechanism of two-phase phenomena in financial markets," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 386(1), pages 253-258.
- Z. Eisler & J. Kertész, 2006. "Size matters: some stylized facts of the stock market revisited," The European Physical Journal B - Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer, vol. 51(1), pages 145-154, 05.
- Ryu, Doojin, 2013. "What types of investors generate the two-phase phenomenon?," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 392(23), pages 5939-5946.
- Levy, Moshe, 2008. "Stock market crashes as social phase transitions," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 137-155, January.
- Sugato Chakravarty, 2002.
"Stealth-Trading: Which Traders' Trades Move Stock Prices?,"
- Chakravarty, Sugato, 2001. "Stealth-trading: Which traders' trades move stock prices?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 289-307, August.
- Kim, C-J., 1991.
"Dynamic Linear Models with Markov-Switching,"
91-8, York (Canada) - Department of Economics.
- Timotheos Angelidis & Alexandros Benos, .
"The Components of the Bid-Ask Spread: The case of the Athens Stock Exchange,"
0615, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Timotheos Angelidis & Alexandros Benos, 2009. "The Components of the Bid-Ask Spread: the Case of the Athens Stock Exchange," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 15(1), pages 112-144.
- Anand, Amber & Chakravarty, Sugato, 2007. "Stealth Trading in Options Markets," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 42(01), pages 167-187, March.
- Kyle, Albert S, 1985. "Continuous Auctions and Insider Trading," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(6), pages 1315-35, November.
- Biao Guo & Qian Han & Doojin Ryu, 2013. "Is the KOSPI 200 Options Market Efficient? Parametric and Nonparametric Tests of the Martingale Restriction," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 33(7), pages 629-652, 07.
- Levy, Moshe, 2005. "Social phase transitions," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 71-87, May.
- Doojin Ryu, 2012. "Implied Volatility Index of KOSPI200: Information Contents and Properties," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 48(0), pages 24-39, July.
- Lin, Ji-Chai & Sanger, Gary C & Booth, G Geoffrey, 1995. "Trade Size and Components of the Bid-Ask Spread," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 8(4), pages 1153-83.
- Huang, Roger D. & Masulis, Ronald W., 2003. "Trading activity and stock price volatility: evidence from the London Stock Exchange," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 249-269, May.
- Mehmet Ivrendi & Bulent Guloglu, 2012. "Changes in Stock Price Volatility and Monetary Policy Regimes: Evidence from Asian Countries," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 48(S4), pages 54-70, November.
- Jangkoo Kang & Doojin Ryu, 2010. "Which Trades Move Asset Prices? An Analysis of Futures Trading Data," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 46(0), pages 7-22, May.
- Alexander, Gordon J. & Peterson, Mark A., 2007. "An analysis of trade-size clustering and its relation to stealth trading," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 84(2), pages 435-471, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:phsmap:v:401:y:2014:i:c:p:167-173. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.