Trading activity and stock price volatility: evidence from the London Stock Exchange
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-1054, July.
- Barclay, Michael J. & Warner, Jerold B., 1993. "Stealth trading and volatility : Which trades move prices?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 281-305, December.
- Lakonishok, Josef & Lev, Baruch, 1987. " Stock Splits and Stock Dividends: Why, Who, and When," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(4), pages 913-932, September.
- Easley, David & O'Hara, Maureen, 1987. "Price, trade size, and information in securities markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 69-90, September.
- Foster, F Douglas & Viswanathan, S, 1995. "Can Speculative Trading Explain the Volume-Volatility Relation?," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 13(4), pages 379-396, October.
- Jones, Charles M & Kaul, Gautam & Lipson, Marc L, 1994. "Transactions, Volume, and Volatility," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 7(4), pages 631-651.
- Lang, Larry H P & Litzenberger, Robert H & Madrigal, Vicente, 1992. "Testing Financial Market Equilibrium under Asymmetric Information," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(2), pages 317-348, April.
- John Board & Charles Sutcliffe, 2000. "The Proof of the Pudding: The Effects of Increased Trade Transparency in the London Stock Exchange," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(7&8), pages 887-909.
- Schwert, G William, 1989.
" Why Does Stock Market Volatility Change over Time?,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 44(5), pages 1115-1153, December.
- G. William Schwert, 1988. "Why Does Stock Market Volatility Change Over Time?," NBER Working Papers 2798, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Karpoff, Jonathan M., 1987. "The Relation between Price Changes and Trading Volume: A Survey," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(01), pages 109-126, March.
- Shing-yang Hu, 1997. "Trading Turnover and Expected Stock Returns: The Trading Frequency Hypothesis and Evidence from the Tokyo Stock Exchange," Finance 9702001, EconWPA.
- Gemmill, Gordon, 1996. " Transparency and Liquidity: A Study of Block Trades on the London Stock Exchange under Different Publication Rules," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(5), pages 1765-1790, December.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Chou, Ray Y. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1992. "ARCH modeling in finance : A review of the theory and empirical evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 5-59.
- Glosten, Lawrence R. & Milgrom, Paul R., 1985.
"Bid, ask and transaction prices in a specialist market with heterogeneously informed traders,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 71-100, March.
- Lawrence R. Glosten & Paul R. Milgrom, 1983. "Bid, Ask and Transaction Prices in a Specialist Market with Heterogeneously Informed Traders," Discussion Papers 570, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Kyle, Albert S, 1985. "Continuous Auctions and Insider Trading," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(6), pages 1315-1335, November.
- Datar, Vinay T. & Y. Naik, Narayan & Radcliffe, Robert, 1998. "Liquidity and stock returns: An alternative test," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 203-219, August.
- Back, Kerry, 1992. "Insider Trading in Continuous Time," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 5(3), pages 387-409.
- Gallant, A Ronald & Rossi, Peter E & Tauchen, George, 1992. "Stock Prices and Volume," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 5(2), pages 199-242.
- Masulis, Ronald W & Ng, Victor K, 1995. "Overnight and Daytime Stock-Return Dynamics on the London Stock Exchange: The Impact of the "Big Bang" and the 1987 Stock-Market Crash," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 13(4), pages 365-378, October.
- Andersen, Torben G, 1996. " Return Volatility and Trading Volume: An Information Flow Interpretation of Stochastic Volatility," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(1), pages 169-204, March.
- Jain, Prem C. & Joh, Gun-Ho, 1988. "The Dependence between Hourly Prices and Trading Volume," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 23(03), pages 269-283, September.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Randi Naes & Johannes A. Skjeltorp, 2003. "Strategic Investor Behaviour and the Volume-Volatility Relation in Equity Markets," Working Paper 2003/9, Norges Bank.
- Hautsch, Nikolaus, 2008.
"Capturing common components in high-frequency financial time series: A multivariate stochastic multiplicative error model,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 32(12), pages 3978-4015, December.
- Hautsch, Nikolaus, 2007. "Capturing common components in high-frequency financial time series: A multivariate stochastic multiplicative error model," CFS Working Paper Series 2007/25, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Nikolaus Hautsch, 2007. "Capturing Common Components in High-Frequency Financial Time Series: A Multivariate Stochastic Multiplicative Error Model," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2007-052, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Ezzat, Hassan & Kirkulak, Berna, 2014. "Information Arrival and Volatility: Evidence from the Saudi Arabia Stock Exchange (Tadawul)," MPRA Paper 61160, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:eee:finana:v:54:y:2017:i:c:p:114-129 is not listed on IDEAS
- Daya, Wael & Mazouz, Khelifa & Freeman, Mark, 2012. "Information efficiency changes following FTSE 100 index revisions," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 1054-1069.
- Webb, Robert I. & Ryu, Doojin & Ryu, Doowon & Han, Joongho, 2016. "The price impact of futures trades and their intraday seasonality," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 26(C), pages 80-98.
- Selim Tuzunturk, 2009. "The relationship between volatility and volume on the Istanbul stock exchange," International Journal of Sustainable Economy, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 1(3), pages 289-304.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/6887 is not listed on IDEAS
- Naes, Randi & Skjeltorp, Johannes A., 2006. "Order book characteristics and the volume-volatility relation: Empirical evidence from a limit order market," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 408-432, November.
- Shan Lu & Jichang Zhao & Huiwen Wang, 2018. "The Power of Trading Polarity: Evidence from China Stock Market Crash," Papers 1802.01143, arXiv.org.
- Chevallier, Julien & Sévi, Benoît, 2012.
"On the volatility–volume relationship in energy futures markets using intraday data,"
Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 1896-1909.
- Julien Chevallier & Benoît Sévi, 2011. "On the volatility-volume relationship in energy futures markets using intraday data," EconomiX Working Papers 2011-16, University of Paris Nanterre, EconomiX.
- Campa, Jose Manuel & Fernandes, Nuno, 2006.
"Sources of gains from international portfolio diversification,"
Journal of Empirical Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 13(4-5), pages 417-443, October.
- Campa, José Manuel & Fernandes, Nuno, 2004. "Sources of Gains from International Portfolio Diversification," CEPR Discussion Papers 4390, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Campa, Jose M. & Fernandes, Nuno, 2004. "Sources of gains from international portfolio diversification," IESE Research Papers D/559, IESE Business School.
- Chan, Choon Chat & Fong, Wai Mun, 2006. "Realized volatility and transactions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(7), pages 2063-2085, July.
- Bjursell, Johan & Frino, Alex & Tse, Yiuman & Wang, George H.K., 2010. "Volatility and trading activity following changes in the size of futures contracts," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 967-980, December.
- Kang, Bo Soo & Ryu, Doojin & Ryu, Doowon, 2014. "Phase-shifting behaviour revisited: An alternative measure," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 401(C), pages 167-173.
- Hooy, Chee-Wooi & Lee, Meng-Horng & Chong, Terence Tai Leung, 2017. "The Sources of Country and Industry Variations in ASEAN Stock Returns," MPRA Paper 80574, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Giot, Pierre & Laurent, Sébastien & Petitjean, Mikael, 2010. "Trading activity, realized volatility and jumps," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 168-175, January.
- Chia-Hao Lee & Pei-I Chou, 2012. "Trading Activity and Financial Market Integration," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 47(3), pages 589-616, August.
- Chung, Kee H. & Park, Seongkyu “Gilbert” & Ryu, Doojin, 2016. "Trade duration, informed trading, and option moneyness," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 44(C), pages 395-411.
- Kerr Hatrick & Mike So & S. Chung & R. Deng, 2011. "Dynamic Relationship among Intraday Realized Volatility, Volume and Number of Trades," Asia-Pacific Financial Markets, Springer;Japanese Association of Financial Economics and Engineering, vol. 18(3), pages 291-317, September.
- Pascual, Roberto & Escribano, Alvaro & Tapia, Mikel, 2004. "Adverse selection costs, trading activity and price discovery in the NYSE: An empirical analysis," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 107-128, January.
- Louhichi, Waël, 2011. "What drives the volume-volatility relationship on Euronext Paris?," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 200-206, August.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:empfin:v:10:y:2003:i:3:p:249-269. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jempfin .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.