The sustainable development area: satisfying basic needs and safeguarding ecological sustainability
The aim of this article is to provide a simple and coherent framework for assessing the sustainability of present and future development policies. First, we present the major characteristics of the sustainability concept along three dimensions and suggest how these dimensions can be measured. Second, we construct a diagram, the sustainable development area, and employ data from 118 countries to evaluate the global situation with regard to sustainable development. Third, we outline three different approaches for reaching the sustainable development area and reflect on their possible implications. Copyright © 2006 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd and ERP Environment.
Volume (Year): 15 (2007)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1099-1719|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hanley, Nick & Shogren, Jason F. & White, Ben, 2001.
"Introduction to Environmental Economics,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780198775959, December.
- Cole, M.A. & Rayner, A.J. & Bates, J.M., 1997. "The environmental Kuznets curve: an empirical analysis," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(04), pages 401-416, November.
- Bill Hopwood & Mary Mellor & Geoff O'Brien, 2005. "Sustainable development: mapping different approaches," Sustainable Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(1), pages 38-52.
- Geoffrey Lamberton, 2005. "Sustainable sufficiency - an internally consistent version of sustainability," Sustainable Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(1), pages 53-68.
- Timothy W. Luke, 2005. "Neither sustainable nor development: reconsidering sustainability in development," Sustainable Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(4), pages 228-238.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:sustdv:v:15:y:2007:i:3:p:174-187. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.