The role of productive efficiency on entry and post-entry performance under different strategic orientation: the case of the Greek plastics and rubber industry
The present study formulates and empirically tests the hypothesis that the post-entry performance and growth of new firms is affected by the way in which crucial resources are combined during the decision-making process to enter the industry or not. Further, the study empirically tests the hypothesis that multifaceted productive efficiency influences both the entry decision and the entrants' post-entry performance. The proposed analytical framework allows for testing these hypotheses under different strategic orientations assumed to be followed by entrants. Results of the estimated partial observability model provide support to these hypotheses in almost all of the examined cases. Copyright © 2008 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 29 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/7976|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jaffe, Adam B, 1989. "Real Effects of Academic Research," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(5), pages 957-70, December.
- Bloom, David E. & Killingsworth, Mark R., 1985.
"Correcting for truncation bias caused by a latent truncation variable,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 131-135, January.
- David E. Bloom & Mark R. Killingsworth, 1984. "Correcting for Truncation Bias Caused by a Latent Truncation Variable," NBER Technical Working Papers 0038, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Audretsch & Erik Lehmann & Susanne Warning, 2004.
"University Spillovers: Does the Kind of Science Matter?,"
Industry and Innovation,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(3), pages 193-206.
- David Audretsch & Erik Lehmann & Susanne Warning, 2004. "University Spillovers: Does the Kind of Science Matter?," Working Papers of the Research Group Heterogenous Labor 04-04, Research Group Heterogeneous Labor, University of Konstanz/ZEW Mannheim.
- Mata, Jose & Portugal, Pedro & Guimaraes, Paulo, 1995.
"The survival of new plants: Start-up conditions and post-entry evolution,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 459-481, December.
- Guimaraes, Paulo & Mata, José & Portugal, Pedro, 1995. "The Survival of New Plants: Start-up Conditions and Post-entry Evolution," CEPR Discussion Papers 1203, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Baldwin, John R. & Rafiquzzaman, Mohammed, 1995.
"Selection versus evolutionary adaptation: Learning and post-entry performance,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 501-522, December.
- Baldwin, John R. & Raffiquzzaman, Mohammed, 1995. "Selection Versus Evolutionary Adaptation: Learning and Post-entry Performance," Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series 1994072e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Amit, Raphael & Muller, Eitan & Cockburn, Iain, 1995. "Opportunity costs and entrepreneurial activity," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 95-106, March.
- Geroski, P. A., 1995. "What do we know about entry?," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 421-440, December.
- Malerba, Franco & Orsenigo, Luigi, 1996. "The Dynamics and Evolution of Industries," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 5(1), pages 51-87.
- Sam Hariharan & Thomas H. Brush, 1999. "Plant scale in entry decisions: a comparison of start-ups and established firm entrants," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(7), pages 353-364.
- Gavin C Reid & Julia A Smith, 1996.
"What Makes a New Business Start-Up Successful?,"
CRIEFF Discussion Papers
9618, Centre for Research into Industry, Enterprise, Finance and the Firm.
- Fotopoulos, Georgios & Spence, Nigel, 1999. "Net entry behaviour in Greek manufacturing: consumer, intermediate and capital goods industries," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 17(8), pages 1219-1230, November.
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1982. "Selection and the Evolution of Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 649-70, May.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Agarwal, Rajshree, 1998. "Evolutionary trends of industry variables," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 511-525, July.
- Acs, Zoltán J & Audretsch, David B & Braunerhjelm, Pontus & Carlsson, Bo, 2004. "The Missing Link: The Knowledge Filter and Entrepreneurship in Endogenous Growth," CEPR Discussion Papers 4783, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jonathan P. O'Brien & Timothy B. Folta & Douglas R. Johnson, 2003. "A real options perspective on entrepreneurial entry in the face of uncertainty," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(8), pages 515-533.
- David Audretsch & Patrick Houweling & A. Thurik, 2000. "Firm Survival in the Netherlands," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 16(1), pages 1-11, February.
- Audretsch, David B. & Mata, Jose, 1995. "The post-entry performance of firms: Introduction," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 413-419, December.
- Attila Varga, 2000. "Local Academic Knowledge Transfers and the Concentration of Economic Activity," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(2), pages 289-309.
- Boeri, Tito & Bellmann, Lutz, 1995. "Post-entry behaviour and the cycle: Evidence from Germany," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 483-500, December.
- Callejon, Maria & Segarra, Agusti, 1999. "Business Dynamics and Efficiency in Industries and Regions: The Case of Spain," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 13(4), pages 253-71, December.
- Russell W. Coff, 2003. "The emergent knowledge-based theory of competitive advantage: an evolutionary approach to integrating economics and management," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(4), pages 245-251.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:mgtdec:v:29:y:2008:i:1:p:37-55. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.