Production, inventory and waiting time
In this paper, I introduce the idea of adjusting waiting time as an alternative to price adjustment in order to study the relationship between waiting time, demand, profits and inventories. In the model, demand depends on both price and waiting time. Consumers are willing to pay more if they do not have to wait long. I derive the conditions under which a monopoly may profit from utilizing the option of holding inventory by changing the waiting time facing the consumers. Copyright © 2007 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 28 (2007)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/7976|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Margaret E. Slade & G.R.E.Q.A.M., 1998. "Optimal Pricing with Costly Adjustment: Evidence from Retail-Grocery Prices," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 65(1), pages 87-107.
- Blinder, Alan S, 1991.
"Why Are Prices Sticky? Preliminary Results from an Interview Study,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 81(2), pages 89-96, May.
- Alan S. Blinder, 1991. "Why are Prices Sticky? Preliminary Results from an Interview Study," NBER Working Papers 3646, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Leif Danziger, 1999.
"A Dynamic Economy with Costly Price Adjustments,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 89(4), pages 878-901, September.
- Epstein, Gil S., 1996. "The extraction of natural resources from two sites under uncertainty," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 309-313, June.
- Haddock, David D & McChesney, Fred S, 1994. "Why Do Firms Contrive Shortages? The Economics of Intentional Mispricing," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 32(4), pages 562-81, October.
- I.P.L. Png & David Reitman, 1994. "Service Time Competition," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 25(4), pages 619-634, Winter.
- Dutta, Shantanu, et al, 1999.
"Menu Costs, Posted Prices, and Multiproduct Retailers,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 31(4), pages 683-703, November.
- Shantanu Dutta & Mark Bergen & Daniel Levy & Robert Venable, 2005. "Menu Costs, Posted Prices, and Multiproduct Retailers," Macroeconomics 0505007, EconWPA.
- Daniel Levy & Shantanu Dutta & Mark Bergen & Robert Venable, 2005.
"Price Adjustment at Multiproduct Retailers,"
- Paroush Jacob & Spiegel Uriel, 1995. "Price Discrimination with One-way Separated Markets," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(3), pages 441-452.
- Lach, Saul & Tsiddon, Daniel, 1992. "The Behavior of Prices and Inflation: An Empirical Analysis of Disaggregated Price Data," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(2), pages 349-89, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:mgtdec:v:28:y:2007:i:6:p:579-589. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.