Positioning the non-least-developed developing countries based on vulnerability-related indicators
A structure presenting relevant constructs of vulnerability for developing but not least-developed countries in the global trade regime shift was first proposed. Based on the structure, the vulnerability constructs were empirically summarized as three independent factors: economic scale, volatility degree, and development level. A map, showing the overall vulnerability positioning of the countries, with dimensions of 'economic scale' and 'volatility with resilience of development', was further created. The map reveals that most small-population states are more vulnerable. Nevertheless, some large economies may not be less vulnerable and should not be excluded if special treatments are offered to non-least-developed small states. Copyright © 2004 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 16 (2004)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Campos, Nauro F. & Nugent, Jeffrey B., 1999. "Development Performance and the Institutions of Governance: Evidence from East Asia and Latin America," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 439-452, March.
- Stephen Knack & Philip Keefer, 1995. "Institutions And Economic Performance: Cross-Country Tests Using Alternative Institutional Measures," Economics and Politics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(3), pages 207-227, November.
- H Armstrong, R de Kervenoael, Xiao-Ming Li and R Read, .
"A Comparision of the economic performance of different micro-states and between micro-states and larger countries,"
ec9/97, Department of Economics, University of Lancaster.
- Armstrong, H. & De Kervenoael, R. J. & Li, X. & Read, R., 1998. "A comparison of the economic performance of different micro-states, and between micro-states and larger countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 639-656, April.
- Read, Robert, 2001. "Growth, Economic Development and Structural Transition in Small Vulnerable States," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Briguglio, Lino, 1995. "Small island developing states and their economic vulnerabilities," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(9), pages 1615-1632, September.
- Kaufmann, Daniel & Kraay, Aart & Zoido-Lobaton, Pablo, 1999. "Aggregating governance indicators," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2195, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:jintdv:v:16:y:2004:i:6:p:751-767. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.