Sub-national vulnerability measures:A spatial perspective
Most empirical investigations into economic vulnerability focus on the national level. Although some recent contributions investigate vulnerability from a sub-national perspective they contribute to the literature in an aspatial manner, as they do not explicitly account for the relative locations of areas and for the potential of spillovers between contiguous areas. This paper extends the current literature on a number of important fronts. First, we augment a principle components model to take explicit account of spatial autocorrelation and apply it to South African magisterial district level data. Second, by comparing spatial and aspatial models estimates, our empirical results illustrate the presence and importance of spatial spillovers in local vulnerability index estimates. Third, we augment the methodology on the vulnerability intervention index and present results which highlight areas that are performing better and worse than would be expected. After accounting for spatial spillovers, the results illustrate a clear urban-rural vulnerability divide.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 0117 328 3610|
Phone: 0117 328 3610
Web page: http://www1.uwe.ac.uk/bl/research/bristoleconomics.aspx
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andres Marchante & Bienvenido Ortega, 2006. "Quality of life and economic convergence across Spanish regions, 1980-2001," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(5), pages 471-483.
- Dennis Tao Yang, 1999. "Urban-Biased Policies and Rising Income Inequality in China," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(2), pages 306-310, May.
- Kanbur, Ravi & Venables, Anthony J., 2005. "Rising Spatial Disparities and Development," Working Paper Series PB3/2005, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Briguglio, Lino, 1995. "Small island developing states and their economic vulnerabilities," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(9), pages 1615-1632, September.
- Gaiha, Raghav & Imai, Katsushi, 2008. "Measuring Vulnerability and Poverty: Estimates for Rural India," Working Paper Series RP2008/40, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Darren Lubotsky & Martin Wittenberg, 2001.
"Interpretation of Regressions with Multiple Proxies,"
- Darren Lubotsky & Martin Wittenberg, 2006. "Interpretation of Regressions with Multiple Proxies," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 88(3), pages 549-562, August.
- Lisa Chauvet & Paul Collier & Anke Hoeffler, 2010.
"Paradise Lost: The Costs of State Failure in the Pacific,"
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 46(5), pages 961-980.
- Chauvet, Lisa & Collier, Paul & Hoeffler, Anke, 2007. "Paradise Lost: The Costs of State Failure in the Pacific," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Paolo Mauro, 1995. "Corruption and Growth," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 110(3), pages 681-712.
- Rosario Turvey, 2007. "Vulnerability Assessment of Developing Countries: The Case of Small-island Developing States," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 25(2), pages 243-264, 03.
- Bird, Kate & Prowse, Martin, 2008. "Vulnerability, Poverty and Coping in Zimbabwe," Working Paper Series RP2008/41, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Edward L. Glaeser & David I. Laibson & José A. Scheinkman & Christine L. Soutter, 2000.
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 115(3), pages 811-846.
- Tondl, Gabriele & Vuksic, Goran, 2003. "What makes regions in Eastern Europe catching up? The role of foreign investment, human resources and geography," ZEI Working Papers B 12-2003, University of Bonn, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies.
- Anselin, Luc, 2002. "Under the hood : Issues in the specification and interpretation of spatial regression models," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 27(3), pages 247-267, November.
- Allan Little, 2009. "Spatial Pattern of Economic Activity and Inactivity in Britain: People or Place Effects?," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(7), pages 877-897.
- Case, Anne C. & Rosen, Harvey S. & Hines, James Jr., 1993. "Budget spillovers and fiscal policy interdependence : Evidence from the states," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 285-307, October.
- Brueckner, Jan K., 1998. "Testing for Strategic Interaction Among Local Governments: The Case of Growth Controls," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 438-467, November.
- Fen-May Liou & Cherng G. Ding, 2004. "Positioning the non-least-developed developing countries based on vulnerability-related indicators," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(6), pages 751-767.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uwe:wpaper:1004. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Felix Ritchie)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.