Simulation of a Hirschman-Herfindahl index without complete market share information
This paper utilizes maximum likelihood methods to simulate a Hirschman-Herfindahl index (HHI) for markets in which complete market share information is unavailable or delayed. Many jurisdictions either may be unable to administratively collect data or experience delays in collection that make data regarding turbulent markets of limited use. With the development of this method, regulatory authorities monitoring health-care competition or health-care firms can now use market surveys - in which reliable recall is often limited to the largest three or four firms - to produce an on-the-spot measure of market concentration. Copyright © 2003 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 13 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/5749|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Keeler, Emmett B. & Melnick, Glenn & Zwanziger, Jack, 1999. "The changing effects of competition on non-profit and for-profit hospital pricing behavior," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 69-86, January.
- Eric Nauenberg & Yuri Andrijuk & Matthew Eisinger, 2001. "Reconsideration of discharge data to measure competition in the hospital industry," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(3), pages 271-276.
- Zwanziger, Jack & Melnick, Glenn A., 1988. "The effects of hospital competition and the Medicare PPS program on hospital cost behavior in California," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 301-320, December.
- Stanley, Michael H. R. & Buldyrev, Sergey V. & Havlin, Shlomo & Mantegna, Rosario N. & Salinger, Michael A. & Eugene Stanley, H., 1995. "Zipf plots and the size distribution of firms," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 49(4), pages 453-457, October.
- Eric Nauenberg & Kisalaya Basu & Harish Chand, 1997. "Hirschman-Herfindahl index determination under incomplete information," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(10), pages 639-642.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:hlthec:v:13:y:2004:i:1:p:87-94. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.