Distribution of direct recall costs along the milk chain
The relation between time and the direct recall costs of one batch of milk was investigated in this study. We developed a Monte Carlo simulation model of a farm-to-consumer supply chain associated with one batch of milk of 150,000 kilograms. The direct recall costs of recalling a batch are less than €100,000 in the first 16 hours after the milk has been collected from the farms, but the costs increase rapidly to more than €140,000. With this study, we showed that a modeling approach can give insight into the relation between recall costs and time, and it can support the development of monitoring schemes at the chain level. [EconLit citations: D210, Q180]. Â© 2009 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume (Year): 25 (2009)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ratapol Teratanavat & Victoria Salin & Neal H. Hooker, 2005. "Recall event timing: Measures of managerial performance in U.S. meat and poultry plants," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(3), pages 351-373.
- Gregg A. Jarrell & Sam Peltzman, 1984.
"The Impact of Product Recalls on the Wealth of Sellers,"
University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State
33, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Jarrell, Gregg & Peltzman, Sam, 1985. "The Impact of Product Recalls on the Wealth of Sellers," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(3), pages 512-36, June.
- Michael R. Thomsen & Andrew M. McKenzie, 2001. "Market Incentives for Safe Foods: An Examination of Shareholder Losses from Meat and Poultry Recalls," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(3), pages 526-538.
- Meuwissen, Miranda P.M. & Velthuis, Annet G.J. & Hogeveen, Henk & Huirne, Ruud B.M., 2003. "Traceability And Certification In Meat Supply Chains," Journal of Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia, vol. 21(2).
- Skees, Jerry R. & Botts, Aleta & Zeuli, Kimberly A., 2001. "The Potential For Recall Insurance To Improve Food Safety," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 4(01).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:agribz:v:25:y:2009:i:4:p:466-479. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.