Determinants of competitive advantage for German food processors
This article aims to explain the variation in firm performance in the German food processing industry. Building on the resource-based view, both drivers and outcomes of firm performance were defined as relative concepts. Performance was measured as relative return on assets and sales, relative change in sales, and by combining these variables into an integrated performance measure. Data for the analysis was gathered in an online firm survey and analyzed by means of nonparametric correlation and regression analysis. The survey response was very low and the sample may not be a good representation of the population. However, the results indicate that the main drivers for firm advantages lie within technology and production-related areas. They further suggest that with firm-specific variables, it is possible to explain as much as two-thirds of the variation in profitability. [Q130, L250, D240]. © 2008 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume (Year): 24 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Morgan, Robert E. & Strong, Carolyn A., 2003. "Business performance and dimensions of strategic orientation," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 163-176, March.
- John H Dunning, 1988. "The Eclectic Paradigm of International Production: A Restatement and Some Possible Extensions," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 19(1), pages 1-31, March.
- Franses, Ph.H.B.F. & Cramer, J.S., 2002.
"On the number of categories in an ordered regression model,"
Econometric Institute Research Papers
EI 2002-15, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Philip Hans Franses & J.S. Cramer, 2010. "On the number of categories in an ordered regression model," Statistica Neerlandica, Netherlands Society for Statistics and Operations Research, vol. 64(1), pages 125-128.
- Clement E. Ward, 1990. "Meatpacking plant capacity and utilization: Implications for competition and pricing," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(1), pages 65-73.
- Strandskov, Jesper, 1999. "Sources of competitive advantages and business performance within the European meat processing industry," MAPP Working Papers 63, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, The MAPP Centre.
- Christian Fischer & Sebastian Schornberg, 2007. "Assessing the competitiveness situation of EU food and drink manufacturing industries: An index-based approach," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(4), pages 473-495.
- G. E. Brandow, 1969. "Market Power and Its Sources in the Food Industry," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 51(1), pages 1-12.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:agribz:v:24:y:2008:i:3:p:306-319. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.