The forecasting performance of implied volatility from live cattle options contracts: Implications for agribusiness risk management
This research examines the forecasting performance of implied volatility derived from nearby live cattle options contracts in predicting 1-week volatility of nearby live cattle futures prices. Forecast evaluation is conducted from the perspective of an agribusiness risk manager. The methodology employed avoids overlapping forecast horizons and focuses on forecast errors, minimizing interpretive issues. Results suggest that implied volatility is a biased and inefficient forecast of 1-week nearby live cattle futures price volatility. However, implied volatility encompasses all information provided by a time series alternative, and it has improved as a forecast over time. These findings provide insight to agribusiness risk managers on how to adjust for bias and inefficiency of implied volatility, and provide insight into their information content. [JEL|EconLit citations: Q130, Q140, G130.] © 2004 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. Agribusiness 20: 217-230, 2004.
Volume (Year): 20 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Henry J. Aaron, 2000. "Presidential address- Seeing through the fog," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(2), pages 193-206.
- Hayenga, Marvin L. & Jiang, Bingrong & Lence, Sergio H., 1996.
"Improving Wholesale Beef and Pork Product Cross Hedging,"
Staff General Research Papers Archive
5004, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Marvin L. Hayenga & Bingrong Jiang & Sergio H. Lence, 1996. "Improving wholesale beef and pork product cross hedging," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(6), pages 541-559.
- Bailey, DeeVon & Brorsen, B. Wade, 1998. "Trends In The Accuracy Of Usda Production Forecasts For Beef And Pork," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 23(02), December.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-654, May-June.
- Jorion, Philippe, 1995. " Predicting Volatility in the Foreign Exchange Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(2), pages 507-528, June.
- Harvey, David & Leybourne, Stephen & Newbold, Paul, 1997. "Testing the equality of prediction mean squared errors," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 281-291, June.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Chou, Ray Y. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1992. "ARCH modeling in finance : A review of the theory and empirical evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 5-59.
- Ernst R. Berndt & Bronwyn H. Hall & Robert E. Hall & Jerry A. Hausman, 1974. "Estimation and Inference in Nonlinear Structural Models," NBER Chapters, in: Annals of Economic and Social Measurement, Volume 3, number 4, pages 653-665 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mark R. Manfredo & Raymond M. Leuthold, 2001. "Market risk and the cattle feeding margin: An application of Value-at-Risk," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(3), pages 333-353.
- William D. Nordhaus, 1985.
"Forecasting Efficiency: Concepts and Applications,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
774, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Christensen, B. J. & Prabhala, N. R., 1998. "The relation between implied and realized volatility," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 125-150, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:agribz:v:20:y:2004:i:2:p:217-230. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.