Food consumption in the European Union: Main determinants and country differences
Consumers in the European Union are involved in integration processes that head towards homogenization of food consumption patterns. Several factors are encouraging these homogenization trends based on consumers' similarities and corporate activities. In this article a review of the food consumption structure, across European Union countries, is undertaken. First, food consumption trends in different countries are described and, second, factors, which determine consumer choices, are presented. Despite the fact that European consumers face more homogeneous food market conditions, food consumption differences exist because preferences and food habits are still different among European consumers, and the market is fragmented (EconLit: L660). © 2001 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Volume (Year): 17 (2001)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blandford, David, 1984. "Changes in Food Consumption Patterns in the OECD Area," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 11(1), pages 43-64.
- Ernest Reig Martínez, 1992. "Estructura del consumo alimentario y desarrollo económico," Working Papers. Serie EC 1992-02, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Jensen, Helen H. & Basiotis, P. Peter, 1993.
"Food Safety/Food Quality Data,"
Emerging Data Issues in Food Demand Analysis, Proceedings of the S216 Workshop, October 1993
11849, Regional Research Project S-278 Food Demand, Nutrition and Consumer Behavior.
- Jensen, Helen H. & Basiotis, P., 1995. "Food Safety/Food Quality Data," Staff General Research Papers Archive 842, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Jensen, Helen H. & Basiotis, P., 1995. "Food Safety/Food Quality Data," Staff General Research Papers Archive 10441, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Helen H. JENSEN & Peter BASIOTIS, 1993. "Food Safety/Food Quality Data," Emerging Data Issues in Applied Food Demand Analysis; s21693jens01, S216, Food Demand and Consumption Behavior Regional Committee.